DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2001 Chrysler Intrepid ES, 2.7L, V6, 173000kms. I recently moved from New Brunswick to Alberta, Canada, but while passing through mid-Ontario, the water pump on the engine broke and the engine overheated at just shy of 170000kms and eventually died. A week later we were back on the road after having the engine replaced with a 2.7L V6 from a 2004 Sebring that had 49000kms on it.

But one morning as we were leaving Brandon, Manitoba, the Check Engine light came on and stayed on while idling in a McDonalds drive thru (after filling up with gas at a PetroCanada station not 10min before). Going by what a Chrysler tech once said to me, if the light comes on and stays on, it's nothing fatal to the engine. We made it to our final destination of Calgary, and once there, a quick code check (flip the ignition switch 3 times) revealed the codes P0172 and P0175, which state the Oxygen sensors on either side of the engine are reporting "Fuel Mixture too Rich, Too much air being added as a result."

One thing I've noticed is periodically the CEL will shut off after a while and stay off for a few days and the car will drive fine, then when idling for a long period in bumper to bumper traffic the light will come back on, and the car will behave sluggish, and always with the same two error codes.

What I don't know is, did I get bad gas maybe somewhere? Or maybe when the people that put the the new engine in the car (in a town in the middle of nowhere) didn't plug something in right? And is it safe to drive on a trip? I need to take it to BC and back with a Uhaul Trailer later this month.

Trep owner with Questions,
-Nick, MaDD-MaXStaR

·
Registered
982 Posts
first guess would be Sounds like a fuel injector has a slight leak or little dirt or rust keeping it open slightly too much. pretty common with a used engine if it was sitting for any lengh of time before it was put in your car. As long as engine is under load (driving)it will burn the small amount of excess fuel, but when you idle for a long period the excess fuel leaking past the injector(s) gets to be more than the engine can burn at low RPMs and causes a rich condition that the O2 sensor senses. As a first step I would try a couple cans of injector cleaner in next few tanks of gas.Other common posibillities Map sensor, temp sensor, iac valve Or could be funny gas try another station for a while.
just my 2.7cents worth :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've been avoiding PetroCanada stations ever since, but that was a month and a half and several tanks of gas ago. I'm gonna give that Injector Cleaner stuff a try, it can't hurt. Hopefully it's that simple.. I love the car but I'm dreading anything more serious coming down the pipe after what happened last time.

Any suggestions for a brand of injector cleaner to use? What works best?

-Nick

·
Registered
982 Posts
MaXStaR said:
Well, I've been avoiding PetroCanada stations ever since, but that was a month and a half and several tanks of gas ago. I'm gonna give that Injector Cleaner stuff a try, it can't hurt. Hopefully it's that simple.. I love the car but I'm dreading anything more serious coming down the pipe after what happened last time.

Any suggestions for a brand of injector cleaner to use? What works best?

-Nick
I would use Seafoam,because I've never had it hurt anything and most of the time if a fuel additive will fix the problem Seafoam works, add it to a tank of gas as listed on the can. But Most all bottles of fuel additive injector cleaners have pretty much the same ingredients.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts