DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you retreive the codes from a 1996 Intrepid 3.3L, I have a check engine light and need to know what it is.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position and back the off position twice. On the third turn to 'on', leave it in that position. The codes should blink.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, wish me luck. I also heard that Dodge is notorious for planting little mileage reminders for us, I just turn over 70,000 Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the code it was "21" Oxygen Sensor, then I had a fried use a scan tool and came up with Bad Sensor "Bank 2 Sensor 1" which sensor is this. If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Usually Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the O2 sensor that is on the 2-4-6 bank and is before the catalytic converter. This is general rule of thumb but of course there are always exceptions. I would do it while the engine is warm but, not too hot. A little anti-seize is a good idea too. Hope this helps. Matt 97 3.5

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I will be stopping by the Dodge dealer to pick it up today. One other thing it could be from the O2 sensor but I only get around 17mpg in city driving is this normal, average, low. It seems to me I should be getting 20. But what do you guys average on the 3.3?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Replacing the O2 sensors is good preventative maintainance, especially if you live in a state that is or is going to be testing emissions. You don't have to go to a dealer to get a new O2 sensor. Check around first. You may get a better price at an Autozone or Napa store. Also, check online at Wrenchead.com and Carparts.com. These two should give you a good idea of what they should cost so you don't get screwed over.

On your mileage. I would have thought that you would be getting much better than that. I am getting around 19-21mpg with my 3.5L and I am in a hurry most of the time.

Good luck with your repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts