DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 intrepid with the 3.5 the check engine light comes on and when I scan it the reader says bank 2 left and right is running lean. I should also mention we had a stretch of minus 48c and I used a sniff of ether would that screw the 02 sensors

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
-48°C - ouch!!

I haven't heard of starting ether damaging O2 sensors - couldn't find any mention of that in a quick internet search. I would think if it could damage them, we'd see warnings on the cans and elsewhere, and/or you'd see "sensor safe" alternates to ether on the shelves. (I've seen discussions in which carburetor cleaner was recommended as an alternate to ether as a starting fluid, but that was due to the potential for engine damage due to severe pre-ignition from ether, no mention of sensor damage in such discussions. You'd think if it also damaged O2 sensors, those discussions would have been the perfect place tor warnings also of sensor damage - but have seen no such mention.)

"bank 2 left and right" - strange wording. To me, bank 2 means driver's side (left) bank.

Is that description from a scan code number? If you reset the codes, does that one come back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-48°C - ouch!!

I haven't heard of starting ether damaging O2 sensors - couldn't find any mention of that in a quick internet search. I would think if it could damage them, we'd see warnings on the cans and elsewhere, and/or you'd see "sensor safe" alternates to ether on the shelves. (I've seen discussions in which carburetor cleaner was recommended as an alternate to ether as a starting fluid, but that was due to the potential for engine damage due to severe pre-ignition from ether, no mention of sensor damage in such discussions. You'd think if it also damaged O2 sensors, those discussions would have been the perfect place tor warnings also of sensor damage - but have seen no such mention.)

"bank 2 left and right" - strange wording. To me, bank 2 means driver's side (left) bank.

Is that description from a scan code number? If you reset the codes, does that one come back?
Yes it comes back but it also seems like it'll stay on in the chilly mornings but once she's up to full temperature it'll stop showing up

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Just curious: After -48, what do you consider chilly?

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
You could swap O2 sensors between sides and see if the code changes to the other side. If it does, then you would know that it's a sensor problem - the code would follow the sensor.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,674 Posts
I forget whether it's the upstream or downstream O2 sensors that have different electrical connectors. I believe it's the upstream ones. That won't allow you to swap them. A part # check on RockAuto or an online dealer will tell you which ones can be swapped.

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
I forget whether it's the upstream or downstream O2 sensors that have different electrical connectors. I believe it's the upstream ones. That won't allow you to swap them. A part # check on RockAuto or an online dealer will tell you which ones can be swapped.
Good call.

·
Registered
885 Posts
no, ether won't bother the sensors.
block heater not working?
never used ether in any of my vehicles.
lean is from a vacuum leak usually.
could be sticky pcv bypassing too much til warm.
if it keeps up after temps warm, it might be sensors getting old and not heating fast enough.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
26 Posts
I had a car that had a similar issue. I cold or wet weather, I kept getting an O2 sensor fault. As long as it was completely dry out, and above 40 degrees or so, then I never had any issues with it. I didn't make the connection that the heater circuit probably wasn't working. Anyways, all issues went away when I eventually replaced both sensors. So Yevrah is probably correct and the sensor is just old and the heater circuit on the sensor is no longer working properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts