DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, back a while, say 3-4oook miles ago i was getting some nasty fuems out of the exhaust and i believe air in the car, took it to autozone wonderin wut up for info from my friend, says maybe the ___? is clogged and ur gunna need to get it cleaned out, so im like mk? wut do i do, well he said buy the 100 dollar gizmo to check it, i said F*&^% that, for fuel pressure. well recently my check engine light came on, my EGR Valve has insufficient flow, and my friends dad used to own a concorde, so checked the system and got the code from the car, turned off the light and said see wut happens, few days later, the light is back on, so sooner or later ill go get it cleaned/replaced by him, but wut does it exactly do? emmisions and proper exhaust flow or what? also how much would this, free job for me, run at a shop and is it common for a 97 3.5L at 89k

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
yeah i got that code, and just blocked off my egr with some quarters....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The EGR puts a controlled amount of exhaust gasses into the intake. The purpose is to reduce oxides of nitrogen by reducing combustion temperatures. The reduced temps also reduce engine knock (a very damaging thing for any engine). The 3.5 has a knock sensor which will signal the PCM to adjust ignition timing and air/fuel mix, when this happens you will get slightly less power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jedgxe said:
The EGR puts a controlled amount of exhaust gasses into the intake. The purpose is to reduce oxides of nitrogen by reducing combustion temperatures. The reduced temps also reduce engine knock (a very damaging thing for any engine). The 3.5 has a knock sensor which will signal the PCM to adjust ignition timing and air/fuel mix, when this happens you will get slightly less power and fuel economy.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Chances are that the egr passages are getting carbon built up or the valve itself might be not opening completely. The 1st gens used a vacuum operated valve with a pressure transducer. Check all the vacuum lines on it, I believe there are 3. One is manifold vacuum that goes from intake to the transducer. The 2nd is for exhaust pressure and goes from the base of the egr valve to the transducer. the last hose is the actual vacuum hose that operates the egr and goes from the transducer to the top of the egr. If you've got a leak in a vacuum hose, it won't fully open the egr valve. Another thought is that there is a pressure valve and diaphram inside the egr valve. Its possible the diaphram went bad or the backpressure valve went bad. If you go to autozone.com, you can view the service manual for the 1st gens for more info on testing it. Be aware that if you change the egr valve or the pressure transducer, they have to be replaced as a pair, and might even be sold that way.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When my '94 3.3 got the code 32 , I went to Auto Zone, and they said, we don't have one in stock, but if they did, it would cost $82. I then went to local dodge dealer , paid $67 and went home with a genuine mopar EGR/Transducer combo. I removed my old one with some very creative use of a socket,ratchet,swivel joint and various combinations of extensions. I rated the task with about a 6 on the pain in the ass scale. I looked at the old one and found the problem to be the small steel tube that sends the back pressure signal to the transducer was completely blocked with carbon. Afterwards I was reading through my FSM and found out that during normal driving the PCM occasionaly energizes and de-energizes the EGR solenoid, and will then expect a certain response from the o2 sensors. This is how it tests the system,and sets code 32 for EGR troubles besides a bad solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts