DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the new 2003 Mercury Marauder, when u get to that page, about left center has a link to an applet for it. looks rather sweet.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
It would make a hell of a cop car, too bad that isn't its intentions.

300+hp and 300+lb ft of torque..it'll make quite a nice factory hot rod. Plus, since the engine is a slightly detuned (through exhaust changes) version of the 4.6L DOHC from the Cobra, there is an abundance of aftermarket performance parts already available.

I've been waiting for this car since rumors of it surfaced about 3 years ago. Time to save my money. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yup, this thing is going to be a monster....was hoping they'd make a CV version (I believe it was called the Blackhawk or something like that?) I too have been salivating over this car ever since it hit the SEMA show a year or two back. It's pretty awesome.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Personally, I think it's ugly. I don't care if you're supposed to buy the car for it's performance or whatever. I won't buy a car that I think looks ugly, no matter how well it performs.

Ford should've taken that last extra step and put more stylish sheet metal on it. I suppose the bland styling helps resale value a bit, though.

To each his own, to be sure, though. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Bland monochromatic styling harkens back to the early to mid 60s, and the birth of the muscle car era. Back then you took your hottest engine and crammed it into whatever small/mid sized car was readily available. At that time it was usually bland, boring looking cars. Take a look at the first Road Runners for example, other than performance, they are nothing to write home about. It wasn't until the late 60's "Mod Squad" era when wild paint and graphics signified a muscle car.

Personally I think a plain looking performance car is a great thing. It will bring back memories of the original rodders and hopefully inject some youthful enthusiasm in the Mercury marque. (Its not hard to tell that they have a winner on thier hands.)

P.S. Ford is slated to get its own version of the Marauder.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ford rhymes with bored :) ... It doesn't look too bad, but it reminds me too much of the crown vic which also isn't too bad, but it's a cop car/retired person car (at least that's all I see driving those). I like chrysler because of the style and because they're an underdog (or at least use to be). When they're not the best, it makes them work harder. Anyways, don't get me wrong, I really wouldn't mind that engine... and I wouldn't mind taking that car for an extended test drive, but I think I'd rather wait till the 5.7 hemi comes out. Of course, I'm a little stubborn and partial to mopar.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hey LHSer...go over to the BON boards...I had one of the CV guys make me a wagon version of the Marauder in Photoshop. Believe it or not, it actually looks pretty good. It's under the CV section of the forum under the post "Anyone good with Photoshop?".

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
For clarification's sake, LHSer, I said Ford should have put more stylish sheet metal on it and not Mercury because I was speaking of Ford in the whole-company sense, as Mercury is a division of Ford. :p

I hear what you're saying, though I still agree with Bart. It looks too much like the Crown Vic, which I can easily identify on the road (even at night) as either a cop or an elderly person. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Just wait till you see it in person though....I saw it at the NY Auto show and it was sweet. Remeber what the Imapala SS did for the Caprice? (and the Caprice was one uuuggglllyyy car) But the Impala's was on everyone's wish list.

It's the understated styling and the clean lines that do it for me. My Dad has a CV and though it drives like a marshmallow, I can see the potential it has to be a slick full size muscle car. The current Panther platform (which is the platform for the CV, Grand Marquis/Marauder and Town Car) is a good set up. Full body on frame (like the old cars used to be)...Rear wheel drive and an engine bay that could very well ingest a big block. Not to mention a vast variety of suspension packages utilized by our police forces add up to a cheap alternative to some of the more familiar street cars.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Blah... car is ugly. Its too *Buick* for my taste.

Just my watered down NYC opinion.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I've noticed one thing about staunch Mopar people. They are the least open minded people when it comes to automobiles. Need proof? Head over to moparchat.com. Some of those people are worse than ricers when it comes to intolerance.

I know Ford has its problems, as do all companies, but you have to give credit where credit is due. What other North American company CURRENTLY produces a large rear wheel drive V8 powered sedan for less than $30,000? I can only think of one, Ford with the CV and the GM.

Granted the Murader will at that price level or above it, but that is the price you pay for that type of car. The 5.7 Hemi, if and when it comes out will be in that price if not higher, I gaurantee that.

P.S. Funny you mention BON, I am a staff writer over there. (Although I haven't contributed in a LONG time.)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am not a "staunch Mopar person". :)

I'm just saying that I don't like the styling of most Fords (or most other cars, for that matter). The only Ford I'd drive is the new Taurus.

And I'm also just saying that I prefer cars that have BOTH styling and performance. The styling of Chrysler vehicles is very compatible with me...right now. If Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, VW, whatever comes out with something who's looks speak to me like Chrysler's do, then I'd buy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts