DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I think I agree - STUCK NOW.

MSDS sheets can actually be very informative - I've actually found out some cool stuff about the product in my hand by reading the MSDS... Granted, I'm the guy that reads car manuals for entertainment too - but I think anyone using a given chemical could find at least 1 thing useful in an MSDS.

The one thing that strikes me in the link you posted - if burned, Chlordane gives off phosgene gas - the problem gas in the original post!

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
I have ramps for the front and thinking on getting another set and do all four at once.
lmao... I guess I'm the only one that got your joke Doug!

True story; I had a bottle of tire shine one time, that read "Fresh Vanilla scent!" on the front, on the rear it had a warning label that read "inhaling vapors can be fatal!"

On another related bit, we had a local high school completely evacuated a while back because a student broke an old mercury thermometer... I mean they had Hazmat teams come in full suit to clean it up........ lol, seriously, when I was a kid, I used to break those things on purpose just to play with the mercury! lol*twitch* had it in my hand*twitch* and everything! Didn't cause*twitch*me*twitch*any harm... Nothing*twitch*wrong with *twitch* *twitch*me!

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
On another related bit, we had a local high school completely evacuated a while back because a student broke an old mercury thermometer... I mean they had Hazmat teams come in full suit to clean it up........ lol, seriously, when I was a kid, I used to break those things on purpose just to play with the mercury! lol*twitch* had it in my hand*twitch* and everything! Didn't cause*twitch*me*twitch*any harm... Nothing*twitch*wrong with *twitch* *twitch*me!
Dad tells me that all the time when a Hg alert come on the news. When we were young in India, we use to steal the thermometers from science class......

I just look at him and :facepalm:

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,616 Posts
I have ramps for the front and thinking on getting another set and do all four at once.
(Not an intentional threadjack)
I have ramps too and thought of the same exact thing, but am really questioning the safety of having an over 4K pound vehicle on thermoplastic ramps over me?

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a good discussion on any automotive-type forum: safety, especially where chemicals are concerned. Anybody that works on cars is subject to using any one of a number of chemicals, thinking only of the intended usage, and not of any health effects from improper usage. But, sometimes it takes a person with a really scary near-miss story or something to make us all wake up and take notice to what we're doing when we're using these products, especially when we can think of all the times we used these products in a not-so-safe way, and SEEMED to get away with it. It's always worth bearing in mind, though, that if we keep pushing the envelope, we're not getting AWAY with anything, we're just GETTING BY for a while, hopefully reading a story like this one and waking up before it's too late.

·
Premium Member
16,680 Posts
Obviously you would think acetone would be harmful, but I was surprised when the following happened to a co-worker several years ago: He worked in a mixed powder and solvent room - had to wear a "space suit" with special filters on it to filter out acetone fumes. Well, the suit vendor sold the company the wrong filters. So the guy leans over a vat of powder with acetone solvent and opens it to remove the mix. The way it was described to me was that the acetone literally dissolved his alveoli (the little air sacs in the lungs that do the oxygen exchange). The guy has been 100% disabled for life (to this day he can't walk across the room without oxygen - I guess the destruction wasn't 100% since he lived), and the supplier got hit with a successful couple million $$ lawsuit.

Moral of the story - acetone fumes are not just to be avoided for passing out/brain damage from long-term exposure, but if the vapors are concentrated enough can instantly destroy your lungs.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I use acetone a lot - how was it used in this case to the point of lung destruction?? Heated or something, or just because of the suit he wasn't getting clean air to replace the acetone air?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too high of a concentration of acetone is dangerous , as are a lot of other chemicals , like MEK ,Tolulene, safety solvent etc, almost any of the what I call alphabet words , you know the one's that use almost every letter in the alphabet like Trich. for cleaning Oxygen parts ( aircraft mechanic), used to be!
It's amazing if I have any brain cells left the stuff I worked around for years & some don't have any brain left, go in interior shop & they are using MPK. to remove the glued on material with the door closed, instant contact high I was out of there without going in !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts