DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
smc1377 said:
I personally think that the build quality of their higher end vehicles surpass that of their American competition, but not quite to the level of the Japanese vehicles yet.
Their quality has gone up a long way, but there's no way it has increased to the point where you could actually say that they have surpassed American quality. America STILL builds a far better vehicle!

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I'm only speaking about the Korean high end cars. Not all Korean cars. Those high end cars are really only competing with the middle of the pack American cars, so that's why I think the Koreans are better. America's best car, even their top tier is far better than any Korean car, but that's not the issue at hand, nor is that the class the Koreans are competing with.

Given that price point where the top tier Korean cars are competing, I do believe that the build quality is better than the Domestics that compete in that same price point. Go test drive a new high end Kia or Hyundai and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tangent Alert :)
I drove a rental 2005 Kia Optima when I was in Florida for a week and I have to say it performed a lot better than I expected. The engine and suspension have improved a lot from the last Kia that I rented. This one I drove even had all leather seats, dual ATC and premium audio.
My only complaint is that it is not as big as my Concorde :)

I agree that they are still not on par with marquee American and European brands. But they have come a long way from their old "rolling sardine can" cars.

Now for these Chinese cars, hmmm...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
Have you looked at what an Optima is? It's a Hyundia Sonata. I'll admit that the older ones are crap, but in terms of quality IIRC they got an award for having the highest initial quality on a certain model. Would I buy one? No, but they have turned their company around much like Hyundia did and are climbing fast. Hell I'd rather have a new Sonata over an Accord :smilie_wo mainly because it's the Anti-Honda :bgking:
Highest initial quality means very little. After all, the 2nd-gen Concorde (2001 model year, IIRC) was once named highest in initial quality too... and we all know that initial quality doesn't help you thousands of miles and years down the road.

Long-term quality and reliability are much more important.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
Highest initial quality means very little. After all, the 2nd-gen Concorde (2001 model year, IIRC) was once named highest in initial quality too... and we all know that initial quality doesn't help you thousands of miles and years down the road.

Long-term quality and reliability are much more important.
Of course on that, but cars even rated highly for long term quality don't hold up as well as people claim. Ask my neighbor who dumped his Accord because of an ongoing electrical problem and the serious amount of rust that had formed on it. (garage kept since day 1) His was an 2000. My point is that as much as people don't want to admit it the Koreans have their **** together and know how to build a car. (IE: Edmunds rating the Sonata higher than the Accord or Camry).

Their quality has gone up a long way, but there's no way it has increased to the point where you could actually say that they have surpassed American quality. America STILL builds a far better vehicle!
A few examples would be the Neon vs. Elantra (see C&D Double Dip Dreamboats) fit and finish, materials, is alot poorer on the Neon that it is on the Hyundia. Granted DCX let the Neon die slowly without any updates but still. Chrysler by all means isn't anywhere near where it should be, we just gotten rid of the 01 Stratus because it was basically falling apart. Blower motor no longer worked, left rear window stopped working, 2.4L was making some horrible noise, radio stopped working also. Not to mention the drivers side door was starting to sag for some odd reason.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
dakotaquadsport said:
Of course on that, but cars even rated highly for long term quality don't hold up as well as people claim. Ask my neighbor who dumped his Accord because of an ongoing electrical problem and the serious amount of rust that had formed on it. (garage kept since day 1) His was an 2000. My point is that as much as people don't want to admit it the Koreans have their **** together and know how to build a car. (IE: Edmunds rating the Sonata higher than the Accord or Camry).
The Sonata even looks like a Honda now.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
A few examples would be the Neon vs. Elantra (see C&D Double Dip Dreamboats) fit and finish, materials, is alot poorer on the Neon that it is on the Hyundia. Granted DCX let the Neon die slowly without any updates but still. Chrysler by all means isn't anywhere near where it should be, we just gotten rid of the 01 Stratus because it was basically falling apart. Blower motor no longer worked, left rear window stopped working, 2.4L was making some horrible noise, radio stopped working also. Not to mention the drivers side door was starting to sag for some odd reason.
The 1st gen neon's were very cost effective vehicles. The 2nd gen's were VERY nicely done. In fact, my 2nd gen was very reliable AND appeared to have an excellent build quality giving me no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'll admit, the Korean's are definitly getting better at building vehicles, and their automotive manufacturing capability will imcrease probably twice as fast as China's, but despite all this, I still think "cheap" when I think korean built

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
(IE: Edmunds rating the Sonata higher than the Accord or Camry).
Actually, Edmunds didn't yet assign an Editor's Rating to the 2006 Sonata. The Consumer Rating is 9.5: Edmunds 2006 Sonata Info

Of course on that, but cars even rated highly for long term quality don't ALWAYS hold up as well as people claim. Ask my neighbor who dumped his Accord because of an ongoing electrical problem and the serious amount of rust that had formed on it. (garage kept since day 1) His was an 2000.
I edited your quote to reflect reality. There are Accord owners who've had their vehicles for many years and have had to do nothing to them but regular maintenance. Is that true of other makes? Certainly.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
OneSpecialM said:
It is just me or does the truck look like a late 90s ford explorer clone?
Well, the Chinese car manufacturers are notorious for allegedly copying existing car designs and actually got sued a few times.
Chery, a Chinese car manufacturer is being sued by Chevrolet and Daewoo for copyright infringement.
http://www.dexigner.com/product/news-g3454.html

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
Actually, you're referring to a comparison test... and I was referring to an Editor's Rating... making your point something totally separate from mine. Perhaps you should've pointed to the comparison test from the beginning.
Hey your the one who's nitpicking, not me.

·
Registered
689 Posts
OneSpecialM said:

It is just me or does the truck look like a late 90s ford explorer clone?
If I didn't know better, I would've thought it was an Isuzu Rodeo.

DodgeyAussie said:
The Sonata even looks like a Honda now.
It's funny you say that, I once read a review of the '90 Sonota that claimed it looked like a bloated Accord. But now, the Accord is the pudgy one.

Oh, and the pictures from the crash test of that SUV should be required viewing for every idiot who bought, or wants to buy an SUV "because it's safe."

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
Have you looked at what an Optima is? It's a Hyundia Sonata. I'll admit that the older ones are crap, but in terms of quality IIRC they got an award for having the highest initial quality on a certain model. Would I buy one? No, but they have turned their company around much like Hyundia did and are climbing fast. Hell I'd rather have a new Sonata over an Accord :smilie_wo mainly because it's the Anti-Honda :bgking:
There is a good reason for that...

...Hyundai is the parent company of Kia.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
TehKing said:
There is a good reason for that...

...Hyundai is the parent company of Kia.

Thats what I was trying to make the point of, thanks for stating the obvious.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Time will tell if the new Sonata is as worthy of such high praise as it has received. I'm hesitant to buy the first model year of any new car... and I'd be at least as hesitant with the new Sonata.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Canyonero! It's a squirrel-squashin' deer-smackin' drivin' machine!

I remeber in my high school shop class we had a bunch of school-owned vehicles we worked on. Most were late 80s, early 90s imports (90 civic, 92 626, 85 tercel 4x4- which was being turned into an ice racer by another shop teacher) and a 79 chevy big-10. I'd have to say they were all pretty crappy, but that could just be because they were donors. My teacher said they used to have a late 80s Bonneville that was a nightmare to work on. But they got rid of it when the tercel came in.

I've never driven an import myself, but I can safely say I've never been disappointed by the 3 domestics I drive now (02 Grand Caravan, 99 Mystique, 95 Intrepid).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts