DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had seen press that Chrysler and BMW were working on a small 4 cylinder engine prior to the DaimlerChrysler merger and that engine is what is being used to power the Mini Cooper. The engine was designed by Chrylser and manufactured by BMW.....So I called the Mini dealer and asked them about the enigine. They denied it has anything to do with Chrysler and that they wouldn't have any domestic content in such a car. O for one get tired of foreign auto makers and the people who drool about how great they are. Sure, American cars have had their problems but so the imports. Where else can you find a car like the SRT4 that can out perform cars costing $10k more!! :eek:

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
That is not exactly true.

The Mini's 1.6L I4 was a joint development between BMW Group and Daimler-Chrysler, and was in development before Mercedes took over (it was not a merger) the Chrylser Corporation.

So the person was right, the engine was not a domestically engineered product.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That car is still neat though...

I also like the Smart.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
chrysler did the supercharged version of the engine...i remember that from before the takeover....chrysler was in charge of redesigning the routing of plumbing and such for the S engine

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mini Engine

Actually, its a CHRYSLER engine, same one used in Export Neons.
It was designed by Chrysler and has nothing to do with Daimler in any way.
BMW commissioned the design by Chrysler (chrysler UK I think) and all BMW did was and some covers with BMW on them.
BMW would never have its arch rival Daimler design any engine for them.
So tell your Mini dealer that it is a 99% Chrylser Engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another website I go to (ASEclub.net), there was a post of a guy who actually found reference to the engine in a book, "Taken for a Ride".

Is having a domestic auto maker's product in such a fine vehicle such an embarassment that they cannot admit it??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts