DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what happens on our (June) 2002 SXT.

The gear selector is in Park and the dash indicator shows R.
Move the selector to Reverse and the dash indicator shows R.
Move the selector to Neutral and the dash indicator shows R.
Move the selector to ODrive and the dash indicator shows D.
Move the selector to a lower range and the dash indicator shows the proper gear.

Move the selector back to Neutral and the dash indicator shows D.
Move the selector back to Reverse and the dash indicator shows R.
Move the selector back to Park and the dash indicator shows R.

We can not start the car.

The car has been towed to the 5 star dealership 3 times in the last 10 days!

The 5 star dealer has rerouted and changed the shifter cable and the "in the transmission" selector sensor/s. Now they have no idea why it is happening!

They are at least renting us a vehicle from Enterprise when the car is in the shop.

Has anyone else had this problem and corrected it?

On top of all that they are only offering $17k for the 13 month old Intrepid with the max extended warranty! That 18K less than I paid for it 13 months ago!

Isn't it grand to drive a Chrysler (sic).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
It's still under full warranty. They can't offer you anything but full compensation if they can't find the problem. Or they could replace your car with a brand new SXT for free???

I have NEVER had any problems with my 5-star dealer not fixing something. They have even fixed stuff I didn't notice! :p

Trust me, my car has been into the dealership MANY times for fixes, worst one being 2 transmission sensors. Most of the **** is minor and they even fixed my PSI sensors for me under warranty (they didn't come on my car stock :p) I told them that I'd be willing to pay and they said "no no, it's covered"

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
tell them to look at the body controller, and the tranny range sensor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd look at the Lemon Laws. 3 times for the same problem - it's a lemon!! They buy it back, give you new, whatever.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
It's not so easy... friend of mine had a corvette that kept dying... many many more than 3 times.. finally he had to get a lawyer and threaten action then they gave him a new one

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please remember that the Lemon law is in the USA and not Canada!

They have the car now and I will keep driving this lovely 2004 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 L six until they can finally fix it. (BTW The Cherokee is only getting 3 MPG less then the Intrepid!)

All of the tow ins were sent by Chrysler Road Side Assistance so they already have a record of the frequency of the problems.

If they can not fix it soon, why would I want to get a different one?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
SK-SXT said:
If they can not fix it soon, why would I want to get a different one?
Wow man.............nobody else has this problem, you don't want another one??? Looking to spend more $ on a less powerful import with less features? or looking to spend less $ on a POS GM sunfire or cavalier or something? Or are you looking to spend a LOT more $ and get something expensive that will have the same chance of having a strange issue like your Intrepid???

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I'ld agree with Lafrad on the range sensor, the thing is that, it sits on the valve body inside the tranny and you have to drop the valve body to get to it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
wow keep us informed so if one of us have same problem we know. I have to agree with YB yet there are also the BCM adjustments to prndl/cable/gauges alignment as well as the plastic rod in shifter may be cracked and somehow wedged/tightly still in sleve to act up the shifter. Mine brook the first month. Good luck and I know there are no LEMON LAWS here in Canada which sucks.....

STBEAR007

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lafrad said:
tell them to look at the body controller, and the tranny range sensor.
The tranny range sensor has already been changed and the problem returned after only 4 stops!

Looking to spend more $ on a less powerful import with less features? or looking to spend less $ on a POS GM sunfire or cavalier or something? Or are you looking to spend a LOT more $ and get something expensive that will have the same chance of having a strange issue like your Intrepid???
We are not looking at spending any more on a vehicle. As for replacing with anything else, any of the imports have retained their value better! We took a 2001 Acura 1.7EL for a drive (A really dressed up Civic EX for you Yanks) and found it to be as much of a vehicle or more especially with a 5 spd! We have also had a basic 2004 Cavalier with an automatic from the rentals and I would not want to race one now as it would probably win and use less fuel to boot!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
A Cavalier would cause you far more headaches over time than your Intrepid is causing now.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
A Cavalier would cause you far more headaches over time than your Intrepid is causing now.
This is the most ridiculous statement. How do you know that?

I don't see how it could be any worse than a car that won't start and has to be towed to the shop on a very frequent basis.

I am sure this could happen on any car but could you guys please stop all the nonsense talk... I guess an Intrepid having problems is open season on trashing other makes/models... WTF is that?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
alderran said:
This is the most ridiculous statement. How do you know that?

I don't see how it could be any worse than a car that won't start and has to be towed to the shop on a very frequent basis.

I am sure this could happen on any car but could you guys please stop all the nonsense talk... I guess an Intrepid having problems is open season on trashing other makes/models... WTF is that?
Other people like adaptabl can make blanket statements and I can't?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
He usually has a JD Power survey or something like that to back it up...

BTW just because Canada doesn't have a lemon law doesn't mean that you can't sue... there is a expectation of reliability and use... you bought the car with expectations... that being reliable transportation... the dealership sold you the car with knowledge of your expectations. It's not living up to it ...

It's not that oh well no lemon law means I am stuck. It just means a more difficult path. Complain up the ladder and if that doesn't get you anywhere threaten to sue.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
(note: I'm not bashing other cars - this was just ironic)

Friend of my brothers has a yellow Cavalier- here is the last 2 months.
1. He had $3,000 in hail damage repaired.
2. The same day he got his car back, hit and run. His car was smashed by another car and dragged under a truck.
3. Last weekend he hit a dear, destroying his front bumper and headlights and damaging his hood. (Oh, that and the *** State highway patrol officer refused to believe he actually hit a deer, since he didn't see hair or the body).

Yeah, I think it's a headache. :)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
jtatz said:
(note: I'm not bashing other cars - this was just ironic)

Friend of my brothers has a yellow Cavalier- here is the last 2 months.
1. He had $3,000 in hail damage repaired.
2. The same day he got his car back, hit and run. His car was smashed by another car and dragged under a truck.
3. Last weekend he hit a dear, destroying his front bumper and headlights and damaging his hood. (Oh, that and the *** State highway patrol officer refused to believe he actually hit a deer, since he didn't see hair or the body).

Yeah, I think it's a headache. :)
that is just sheer bad luck on the drivers part.. he should have Garaged it, Watched where He was going so he wasn't going to get hit, and been driving slower as to notice deer around and not hit them.

Went from a car with 3 problems to a car with 0, right there.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Canada doesn't have a lemon law but does have an arbitration board. I don't remember the name but it has something to do with Automobile Consumer Protection and in the past they made car companies refund the entire purchase price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea, my dad is the Used Car Manager at one of the 5 stars in Milwaukee. And in all the times I've taken my car in, I've never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts