DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I know there's another thread already going on this, but I take the liberty of starting a new one on a different note!]

I have a '98 ES 3.2L and it's had no problems other than the power window problems in its first year. I understand power windows were a common problem area for the 1998 models. Other than that, this Chrysler product has been great! Smooth and quiet with great gas mileage -- over 30mpg on the highway cruising over 70mph.

We also still own a '97 Grand Cherokee which has been a really sweet vehicle. The only service was for the rear window wiper motor or wiring which was taken care of under warranty. The only other problem was the original battery going bad last month (5 year old battery). (Well except that a mechanic double-gasketed my oil filter and the gasket ruptured and left me stranded with oil bathing the underside of the vehicle, but that was his fault! :)) I did upgrade the wheels and tires with 255/55HR17's for better handling.

I also owned a loaded '96 Dodge Ram and a '94 Dodge Ram -- only had each for a couple years but the '96 *never* went in for service, and the '94 only went in for a minor problem early on with the charcoal canister which had to be replaced under warranty.

I had an '87 Jeep Cherokee before the '94 Ram -- it was a great vehicle needed little more than normal maintenance, except for the AC losing its freon once and requiring replacement of the AC expansion valve. Also, the serpentine accessory belt broke once -- I actually drove the vehicle with no accessory belt for a few miles (with the battery running everything) to get it home, then put on a new belt in the driveway.

I also owned an '87 Plymouth Sundance sedan, which was a good car (for that time period lol). The alternator had to be replaced but otherwise it just needed maintenance.

Prior to that was an '84 Plymouth Turismo which also was a very good coupe, fun and economical to drive. I think I replaced the water pump at 50,000 or 60,000 miles, but that was about a $30 bolt-on part on the 2.2L engine, real easy fix. Otherwise it was very reliable.

Prior to that was a 1975 Dodge Dart -- my first car passed down by my parents. It was a slant six which I never liked -- probably would have been a nice enough engine with something more than a one-barrel carburetor to breath through! You wouldn't run very fast if you had to breath through a straw, would you? Well the Dart couldn't either lol. With a good 2-barrel or maybe a Holley 390cfm 4bbl and headers, it would have been much more enjoyable. However, from a reliability standpoint, it was a great car -- only needed normal maintenance until I traded it in with 133,000 miles. At that point the transmission was probably getting a bit tired -- the fluid was starting to smell and turn brownish despite the auxiliary cooler. And it need four new brake drums (still had the originals if you can believe it). And yes, I did say FOUR new brake DRUMS. The non-power-assist brakes were a bit hard to handle if you needed to stop in a hurry.

I could give a similar history of all the many Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles my parents have had ('81 St. Regis, '93 Grand Cherokee, '69 Charger, '89 Voyager, '70 Dart, '75 300, '88 Lebaron, etc.) with similar results. I do recall that the Turbo Lebaron needed a new battery after only one year, and once needed a head gasket replacement under warranty but there was otherwise no problem with the vehicle.

1993 was the first model year of the Grand Cherokee, and theirs did have a number of problems over the years, including one major incident, although they still enjoy the vehicle greatly. The 4.0L six-cylinder Jeep engine is well-known to be indestructible, but theirs actually threw a connecting rod at about 65,000 miles. The dealer indicated they'd known of it happening to the 2.5L four-cylinder Jeep engines but never to the 4.0L six-cylinder. A '98 short engine block assembly was installed under warranty. The vehicle made a number of trips to the dealership for air conditioning issues during its 9 years, and had the rear axle replaced due to the oil fill plug falling out, and had the fuel injectors replaced at around 70,000 miles due to the O-ring seals being worn out and not sealing well any more.

My sister currently owns a 2000 Sebring Limited sedan that has not needed any service other than oil/filter changes. She has owned a '95 Dodge Ram, '93 Cherokee, '88 Leberon Turbo (she and my mom bought theirs together), etc. I don't recall her having any problems at all with her Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps.

That's a whole lot of vehicles that I can think of just now, with only one which could be called troublesome. I tend to give the '93 Grand Cherokee some leeway since it was a totally new vehicle, and wasn't even designed by Chrysler -- it was actually designed by AMC prior to Chrysler buying the auto company out in 1987. Of course the intervening years between '87 to '92 were plenty of time to make changes prior to production (and maybe they did!).

I guess my point (obviously by now) is that Chrysler products are generally good vehicles, though they could be better. Yet one of the three people in my department owns a '93 Honda Civic which she calls the "Shitvic" (pardon the phrase) due to many major and expensive problems over the years.

Regards,
Marcus

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello Marcus,

Nice to read you have had only a expected number of problems.

Manyly wanted to write though to point out that the Grand Cherokee was Lee I's idea with some others at Chrysler at the time. They seen that the regular Cherokees where being garaged along side cars that cost more than average americans paid for houses. :D So Lee and some engineers sat down and designed a classier Cherokee and setup a new factory in 1992 in Detroit just to make the new Jeep line. You can see the history line Here.

There is also a great show on the history channel about Jeeps that is fantastic with all of the history.

sURFN

Also own a 95 V8 Grand Cherokee (Wife drives it) ;) No problems with it.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: sURFNmADNESS ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, if you're looking for 300M wheels, I've seen several sets auctioned on eBay for good prices, some sets including tires.

[Thanks for the correction on who designed the Grand Cherokee. I always thought it was weird that the GC was supposedly designed by AMC yet AMC was bought out by Chrysler fully five years before the vehicle was released. Makes more sense that Chrysler actually designed it. But then again it's also weird that Chrysler used the Aisen-Warner AW-4 four-speed automatic in the Grand Cherokee for only one year, then switched to the in-house automatics after that.]

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Marcus ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts