DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have raced 2 Chrysler cars. (1) 300M special he was not even close. Next light he was really looking at my car and gave me a thumbs up. (2) new 2002 R/T. He came up on me quick on a local expressway and we both got off at same exit. 1st light we go for it and by 100Kph I had him by 2-3 car lenghts. Next light he rools down his window and says he will get me this time. Just before the light turn green he holds the brake and gives it all he can(I would never do than with a DC auto). The light turns green and I let the clutch out at 2000RPM. I was impressed by his take off. We stayed even for about 1 1/2 car lenghts then he was history. I let him see what I could do. by 120KPH I had him by 4-5 car lenghts. The next light he rolls down his window and said "Holy sh?t that thing is quick thats the first car that smoked me that bad." He seemed cool, But has learned not to mess with an Altima 3.5 5 speed.

Now I had this riced out honda try me and he was a joke. Next light he would not even move up to the light. He stayed back 30FT and even when I left very slowly would not pass me. The only other car I raced was a Mustang 5.0. He would not even look at me after being toasted.

So I must say Those Chrysler guys are very cool.(My 2.7 was not that quick and I very sendom raced it. When I had my stealth ES I got beat by a few times, but never put my tail between my legs). When or if that Hemi goes into the LH I will most likely be toast and will give a thumbs up to one.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hmm.. I musta missed yer switch to the altima....

sounds like a roXoring car... lots of HP and a 5-speed....
I am still kinda stuck on Dodge stuff tho.. it just feels more... I dunno.. for me :p

5-speed tho...

is the engine mounted the same as the 'trep, with the tranny in the same spot? <nudge nudge> (can I borrow your car and see if I can do a tranny swap? :) )

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one of them 5 speed manual Stratus' comming out this month............. An automatic is more convenient to drive however. For me a manual is more something that would be good for racing a lot.

2002 5 Speed Stratus would be right there even with the 2.7L or 3.0L........... The 2001 Stratus R/T can hit 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds. Verified independatly by a racing school. 5 Speed I would assume could even be quicker..........

The Altima seems to be sized pretty nice. Nissans' engines have been rated really well though as well built engines but I'm just a Chrysler guy least right now. Second I'd have a Mustang GT, they're just too small for me.

The 2002 Intrepid R/T with the 3.89 should have been right there or pretty close. Sure it was a 2002, chrome wheels and rear spoiler......? I am assuming the guy used his Autostick to shift which would be a mistake. Having it in Autostick is cool but you it should just be kept floored letting the Transmission Range Sensor shift for you. You'll loose a lot of performance actually shifting Autostick however it is good to get certain kickdown. If I'm gonna race any Altima's I'll just remember to go grab my dad's 99 4.6L GT to take it to one.

Sounds fast though.........

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The 2001 Stratus R/T can hit 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds"

I doubt it. My sister had a 2001 Sebring coupe 3.0 5 speed and it was not very quick. A R/T would take her easy.

The intrepid 3.5 is a very good engine(other than the water pump problem) If it had a good tranny it would be a good closer match. It was a 2002 for sure, but it was not that close other than the start(I am trying to find out the best RPM to launch with).

I have always been a Chrysler man myself, But with the problems in our last 2 Chrysler cars I had to look at the competition. One drive of the Altima did it(The Accord or Camry did nothing for me). No looking back. We usually keep our cars 3-4 years and my wifes PT cruiser is almost 2 years old, so Maybe next year the sour taste in our mouth will be gone and we will look at DC again(who knows). Now if DC had that RWD Charger with the Hemi one would be in our driveway. The problem I see is DC future styling seems be going down the crapper(That new Concorde is just plain ugly).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't like the Maxima styling(The back is ugly). Also the Maxima is at the end of its life and will be replaced shortly. Now the next Maxima looks like it will be a hot car, if they can keep the price reasonable.

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........... Dodge Neon SRT-4 "

Still a neon. If I was looking for a pocket rocket That WRX is fast. I bet in the next 2 years every mfg has a small car with 0-60 less than 6 seconds. All those rally car inspired rides. I wanted a sport sedan with room for the kids that looked good.

If only they had that 4 door Hemi Charger.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
adaptabl said:

Still a neon. If I was looking for a pocket rocket That WRX is fast. I bet in the next 2 years every mfg has a small car with 0-60 less than 6 seconds. All those rally car inspired rides. I wanted a sport sedan with room for the kids that looked good.

If only they had that 4 door Hemi Charger.

Of course! Everyone has to jump on the bandwagon! :biggrin:

I know what you mean about wanting room. :bigsmile:

The WRX is fast, yes. I believe the WRX has a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds. If I remember correctly, the Neon SRT-4 has a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. Not to mention the WRX can be almost twice as much as the Neon! :eek: Although the WRX does have AWD. :)

Ahhhhhh....the HEMI Charger. :biggrin: Me want so bad. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, I feel your pain. I have owned three Intrepids and have had different problems with each one. I have an extended warranty and hopefully wont have to spend to much time without my car shall anything serious go wrong. I'm gonna give this 2002 a try. I will be honest, I'm already not to happy having a few issues.

With a new 2002 you expect that you should be able to drive the car for at least near 30,000 miles before things start to fail or create problems. Should be even longer if you take care of it. First thing I take the damn thing home and noticed certain issues......... Then within about 2000 miles the steering began to really act up. I take it you have a pretty good dealer or service department. The two Dodge/Chrysler dealerships I have been to play stupid and are non receptive and act like you don't know what your talking about. And of course they can never duplicate it on their 1 minute road tests or quick visual inspection. I don't know, if this one gives me anything near the hell I went through with my 99ES I might get a Ford Taurus. Pisses me off cause I like the car otherwise. Buying an Intrepid SE may have been a complete mistake since they crank so many out at the factory. I have noticed that certain things were cut sloppy, you can see the airbag seams, just a lot of things. Although my 99ES was litterly falling apart ever since purchasing it at least it looked like it was put together better.

I don't know, may end up with an Altima myself eventually...........

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with service is DC will no longer pay for diagnosis time. If no repair is done no payment from DC. This forces the dealer to do one of 3 things. (1) spend 30 seconds to look at your car and send you off. (2) replace parts just in-case(DC will soon see a higher repair cost and cut the dealer off). (3) eat the cost to preserve customers. With the modern cars being so complex it is not always an easy quick fix, but DC doesn't care. There attitude is cut cost at all cost. One of the local dealers is trying to charge a $45.00 diagnosis fee if they can't find a problem even under warranty. Dream on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey AdaptABl Get youre rice car out of here:wink: :wink:

I also will be signing in on a 3.5 SE Fully Loaded AUTOMATIC.

I fell in love and its fast.

My 94 intrepid is almost dying and it wont start anymore it has 160,000 miles and i beat on it hard. So im going to hopefully be getting one this week.

But i will always keep posting on this board i personally think this forum rocks because of the memebers on here.

Ill be joining you soon Adaptabl on the altimas.net forums:biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey man, actually the $45.00 is not that bad. I was suprised that the dealer didn't try and charge me when I brought my 02' in because when I took my 99 ES to them for a second opinion they tried to get me to sign an estimate of $385.00 just to look at a few problems if they couldn't find them.

I immediately spoke to the dealership manager. I told him that I myself run a service company and understand profit but found that to be simply unreasonable being that it was under factory warranty. They were like, well sir, If you're so sure of these problems you'll sign this and then will not have to pay anything. I said no, being that none of these dealerships can ever duplicate a damn thing. Probably would still tell you it's fine if a spark plug blew through your hood.

I'm not happy with my Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler dealership experiences. What sucks is that these are actually the better dealerships from what I have heard. Bring my 99ES in for intermittent rough idling and engine oil dissappearence...... Sir, your engine is fine....... Bring my 99ES for tranny bump, sometimes harsh, hesitation etc., sir your transmission is fine...... 2000 miles later the engine blows up and tranny fails shortly after. Steering starts feeling loose at times, going limp at times and front end would swerve funny at times. Sir, your steering is fine, well it failed one day. I was lied to by the first dealer about PCM and TCM updates that were available that I wanted and was even willing to pay for to try and counter intermittent tranny issues and poor fuel mileage.

Now I find out that the first dealer that sold me the 99 ES sold me one that was previously wrecked. After investigating, I find that the rear frame is welded together unlike similar treps I compared it to. Part of the Independant suspension control arm that mounts to the frame is welded on and even looks crooked. This is clearly not factory work from my comparison. I'm in a tough spot because I'm not sure if that car had major issues because it was wrecked, it sucked or both. I'm already experiencing the steering intermittently feeling loose, squeaking and clunking with my 2002.

I'm not happy, I may also go with something else myself. The district service manager is supposed to come and look at my 2002's steering assembly. How they handle this will probably affect my decision to just purchase another type of vehicle.

Thanks for the info........... if you don't mind what did you pay or what does an Altima like yours go for........?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sad thing is the Altima is a car Chrysler could of built. It is fast feels very light with all that power, a real fun car to drive. The funny thing is the Altima feels like a big 3 car, lots of torque and very smooth. I have driven some of those rice rockets and if you don't have that V-tech engine turning 8,000 RPM it is very weak. The QV 3.5 has so much torque you feel the tires fighting for traction all the way thru 1st grear and most of 2nd. even in 5th gear at 1000RPM in pulls well and accelerates smoothly.If the germans had not screwed everything up we could have a new design 02-03 LH that would have lots of power a new transmission and some of that former great Chrysler design.

Wutang15m maybe I can take the wife and kids to disney and we can kick some R/T ?ss with our Altimas.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but dont they make a 5 speed 3.5 300M in Germany that'll do 0-60 in sub 6 seconds? I remember reading something about it on the forums here, but it was a while ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the wrx is rated at 5.4, 14.1 quarter, is all wheel drive, looks alot better, in my opinion, and is 24,000. Its turbo charged with a rally suspension.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JGarrett911. I think that was a 300M with a special 300+ HP 3.5 and a MB 5 speed tranny. I think it was to show the german engineers how bad the Chrysler tranny was. The original 300M special was to be almost 300HP but the trannys would not take it. Big surprize. So now all they get is 5 extra HP. One thing the R/T was much closer than the 300M special was to staying with me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Juandhi,

I think you've gotten some bad information. $ 24,000 for a WRX is the stuff of fairy tales. This quote was taken from a previous thread, and if you don't believe it, go to Subaru's website and check for yourself.

the WRX is not at all inexpensive. I went on the Subaru website and chose a WRX with the options I would want and the total came to over $35,000.00!!

Way too much money, even though it is fast and all.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
adaptabl said:
JGarrett911. I think that was a 300M with a special 300+ HP 3.5 and a MB 5 speed tranny. I think it was to show the german engineers how bad the Chrysler tranny was. The original 300M special was to be almost 300HP but the trannys would not take it. Big surprize. So now all they get is 5 extra HP. One thing the R/T was much closer than the 300M special was to staying with me.
Which still surprises me. How the hell can these Prowler owners be running over 400hp!!!!??? It's the same damn tranny!

The thing with the 300M Special is that, yes, it gets a couple of more horses, but it also gains some weight. Go figure.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey War.....

I know it sucks....! The rear wheel drive configuration transfers the power through a differential, which aliviates some tranny stress. My take is that RWD is the answer.

What I want to know is how Cadillac (GM) got 300HP out of a Front Wheel Drive model w/no issues that I know of.......!!??

My dad test drove one and told me it was a can of whoop ass and he doesn't even like GM.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
MoparPerformance said:
Hey War.....

I know it sucks....! The rear wheel drive configuration transfers the power through a differential, which aliviates some tranny stress. My take is that RWD is the answer.

What I want to know is how Cadillac (GM) got 300HP out of a Front Wheel Drive model w/no issues that I know of.......!!??

My dad test drove one and told me it was a can of whoop ass and he doesn't even like GM.
Than explain how ricers get many hundreds of horsepower out of FWD cars?????????

Arrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

If I had the money I would just say **** it and do it!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
umm....the intrepid has a differential.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts