DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From LeftlaneNews.com:

Chrysler ordered to pay $385,000 for lemon

Chrysler was ordered to pay $385,000 to the owner of a troubled Dodge Viper in what is believed to be the largest damages award concerning a defective car. Problems with the car centered around its differential, which broke several times. After the sixth time, the manufacturer refused to cover any more repairs, records show. Each time, the component failed while the car was being shifted from first to second gear at around 50 mph.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I always wonder how some cars can just be plagued by the same issue. You would think after you replace the part it would be problem solved. Like in this case, what would break the diff 6 times? I don't know too much about the Viper as far as problems so I don't know if this is an issue with them or not. Still if it isn't the diff itself that is the problem what is?

Another thing I can't understand is why haven't car companies learned to replace the vehicle with another to avoid lawsuits, it's cheaper.

·
Registered
562 Posts
First time i heard of this problem. I am thinking this is driver error/stupidity.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
IMO a differential should never break regardless of the stupidity/errors of the driver.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Knightmare said:
IMO a differential should never break regardless of the stupidity/errors of the driver.
I would generally agree, but I have seen some really stupid drivers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would think shifting from first to second at or around 50mph would be the problem...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I shifted a buddies Red 1995 at 62mph red line. No problem's at all.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Why should they have to pay punitive damages above the value of the car? Has the owner been permanently emotionally scarred?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts