DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I remember correctly, it's so common that dealers call it the "Chrysler Cancer". I couldn't tell you if/when they fixed it. Our 2000 Corde has the same clearcoat damage on the plastic section of the hood (near the windshield) that our previous Chryslers had.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Airwolf1679 said:
If I remember correctly, it's so common that dealers call it the "Chrysler Cancer". I couldn't tell you if/when they fixed it. Our 2000 Corde has the same clearcoat damage on the plastic section of the hood (near the windshield) that our previous Chryslers had.
I had that too on that plastic trim piece, but i just replaced the trim piece. I've had no other issues with paint on the car.

I never had a problem with the paint on my 95'. Still looked fantastic when i traded it in in 04'.

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
ask anyone who's been to carlisle about my car's paint desease.. almost the whole roof, a good part of the trunklid, and both quarterpanels right at the end of the sailpanel

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
back in the 90's . chrysler and GM also had huge paint problems, my 90 dakota had all the clear coat peel off the hood in one huge sheet, was strange to say the least,
I know for a while GM was repainting them for free,, dont know about chrysler
( they didnt know just like the 2.7) :brow2: ,,,,,,i guess they got it right around 2000 :tongue:

·
Registered
27 Posts
LHSDriver01 said:
I had that too on that plastic trim piece, but i just replaced the trim piece. I've had no other issues with paint on the car.

I never had a problem with the paint on my 95'. Still looked fantastic when i traded it in in 04'.
Yep, we had the piece replaced under warranty. A year or so later, the clear coat started peeling again. The rest of the car has been fine...minus door dings and dumb kids on bikes.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Mine is peeling but only on the trunk. The rest of the car looks great for an car that stays outside and driven winter and summer.

How long should we expect clear coat to last?
I know of a very well cared for 87 Cutlass, my 87 Ram, 1st gen Neons all have clear coat issues.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
To answer the original question, as near as I can figure it was sometime during the 96 year production.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My '96 (platinum) has no paint problems. If only I didn't have 1.000 dings from hail.
I think the original problem arose when they switched from solvent based paint to latex formulations due to concerns about volatiles being released into the atmosphere during painting. Other mfrs had problems too, but Chrysler seemed to have more and over a longer time span. Naturally, IT WASN'T THEIR FAULT, so why would you expect them to do anything about it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.