DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/10/dodge-to-kill-its-minivan-in-2013/

The T&C lives on, so just reducing cross platform cars. Still, the Caravan had been a staple in the Dodge lineup for a long long time.

Marchionne adds that Chrysler’s long term plan involves eliminating nearly all of its dealers that sell only one brand and that, “we cannot have the same type of vehicle in the showroom because the customer is not stupid. We’re not going to create the confusion and conflict in the showroom.” He added that Chrysler’s long-term plan involves eliminating nearly all of its dealers that sell only one brand.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/10/dodge-to-kill-its-minivan-in-2013/#ixzz1aQ0jkRci

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Seeing as I can't fit into anything newer than a 4th Gen, I'm nonplussed by this news. :D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
"....we cannot have the same type of vehicle in the showroom because the customer is not stupid..."

I beg to differ. The customer IS stupid. Many people choose to replace their current vehicle with a newer model of the same name, no matter how much different the new model is. Look what happened when Ford replaced the Taurus with the 500. Sales went downhill quick. The solution: rename the vehicle back to Taurus and all is well again. Does anyone remember the Ford suv with the Taurus X name?
Other examples: Honda Civic and Toyota Prius - How many entirely different designs do they have now that use that name? "Three entirely different models of the Prius" according to the commercial I seen the other day.

My point: The public IS stupid. They buy a vehicle based on the name. That's what matters to them.

I had a lady friend who was looking for a Caravan this past summer to replace her current one ( Caravan number 3). I told her to look for a T&C as they came standard with all the options she was looking for. She had no idea they were essentially the same, and I bet she is not alone. Dodge might find out the hard way that 'Caravan' is more than "just a name."

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not an issue as long as they are on the same lot as the Dodge.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
"....we cannot have the same type of vehicle in the showroom because the customer is not stupid..."

I beg to differ. The customer IS stupid. Many people choose to replace their current vehicle with a newer model of the same name, no matter how much different the new model is. Look what happened when Ford replaced the Taurus with the 500. Sales went downhill quick. The solution: rename the vehicle back to Taurus and all is well again. Does anyone remember the Ford suv with the Taurus X name?
Other examples: Honda Civic and Toyota Prius - How many entirely different designs do they have now that use that name? "Three entirely different models of the Prius" according to the commercial I seen the other day.

My point: The public IS stupid. They buy a vehicle based on the name. That's what matters to them.

I had a lady friend who was looking for a Caravan this past summer to replace her current one ( Caravan number 3). I told her to look for a T&C as they came standard with all the options she was looking for. She had no idea they were essentially the same, and I bet she is not alone. Dodge might find out the hard way that 'Caravan' is more than "just a name."
This

·
Registered
108 Posts
FYI the minivan plant in my hometown has shutdown twice in the last two weeks due to a batch of bad engines. Im not sure which engine but they either a) were in trasit to the assembly plant and had to go back to the supplier or b) didnt pass Quailty control at the engine plant. I do know that the blocks were cracking and never made it to the assembly plant. SO beware if your going to buy a 2012 Minivan, just saying!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
In an interview with Automotive News, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne revealed that the Dodge Grand Caravan minivan will die in 2013 and be replaced by a crossover utility vehicle. The decision is part of a larger plan to eliminate duplication of vehicles among Chrysler’s four brands – Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Ram.
By reading the full article I believe that the Caravan will be replaced with the Journey.

I didn't know that Ram is a brand, I though it's just a model for the Pickup Trucks and some big wheelbase Vans.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
By reading the full article I believe that the Caravan will be replaced with the Journey.

I didn't know that Ram is a brand, I though it's just a model for the Pickup Trucks and some big wheelbase Vans.
That was true until about a year ago. Have you been living under a rock?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Yeah I saw one of the new VW vans @ Carmax... opened the hood and had to pick up my chin when I saw all the Chrysler logos under there. LOL

I had no idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts