DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
How true. Sales are shifting from the big V8 gas gussler high profit cars and trucks to the low profit Caliber. Time for a DC fire sale on the big pigs. The 300 looks dated even more now. SUV's are no longer a status symbols. Tough time for Chrysler in the next few years. Those ad's about the Hemi using gas and rubber will haunt them.

The problem is not the marketing people it's the poor product mix for today and tommorows customer. Who will be the first of the big three to die?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well I see a shift coming from all out performance to smaller multi-purpose vehicles with multiple seat configurations such as Mazda 5, Honda Fit, and yes the Dodge caliber. really if you think about it, the PT crusier was one of the first such vehicles. People that ran out to but SUV's just because they were the "in" thing (it's estimated that 85% of SUV owners never take them off the pavement) are crying now. Good luck at trade in time. American car makers need to get their heads out of thier behinds and stop THINKING what the American public wants and start ASKING everyday people. They already dropped the Hybrid ball to Toyota and Honda, now they're going to drop the Multi-use ball to them as well. WAKE the hell up big 3! Stop focusing on pickups, SUV's and Hemi's and such and make a car for everyday drivers! Enough said.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Counting down the days for their demise. Not DC, Ford or Chevy, mind you, but the demise of the unions. Perhaps these are the best things that could happen to those companies who desperately need to break free of their union nooses.

·
Registered
750 Posts
adaptabl said:
How true. Sales are shifting from the big V8 gas gussler high profit cars and trucks to the low profit Caliber. Time for a DC fire sale on the big pigs. The 300 looks dated even more now. SUV's are no longer a status symbols. Tough time for Chrysler in the next few years. Those ad's about the Hemi using gas and rubber will haunt them.

The problem is not the marketing people it's the poor product mix for today and tommorows customer. Who will be the first of the big three to die?
Damn and i jsut got a SUV GRRR

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read in the latest Car and Driver that the Magnum R/T year long test just wrapped up. They got 20 mpg which is pretty impressive for the size and running the piss out of it.

The Hemi thing won't kill them. If you can have that kind of performance in a car and get 20+ mpg while still running it pretty hard that's something they should advertise more. I think they will too.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
My dad longs for a 6.1L Hemi even with gas prices around $3.75/gal US here.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ummm....

20 mpg sucks no matter what it is in.
We're all going to have to get used to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles if someone doesn't reign in the oil companies soon.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very sad how things make a turn for the worst since it was taken over by the germans.... they should of kept them in detroit where they belonged

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ya gotta love the internet.
Any moron with a keyboard and 100 bucks for a web site can call themselves a journalist.

Sheessh.

Hmmm........
This might be`an easy way to get a sema pass for the price of a web site............
(evil laugh)

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
Smoke and Mirrors

This is an interesting thread we have owned 2 Dakota R/T's sold one and got an 02 Concode Lxi
I bought thru a wholesaler last year 80,000K for $`13,000.00 CDN Last week looked at an 03 Lx at a dealer for $19,000.00 CDN

This is what I see as wrong with Chrysler there is a major problem in pricing their vehicles, used prices (retail) are to hi.

My son is looking at a current Sebring, because he says they are the fastest depreciating car around

The new 300's are listed for around $30,000+ CDN in my area yet in checking with the wholesaler one year old V6's are running less than $18,000.-- the Hemi around $22,000

I feel if Chrysler wants to move vehicles they need to do something about used prices, wholesale seems O.K. retail off the wall.

Just my 2 cents
Terry in BC

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
TBrenan said:
This is an interesting thread we have owned 2 Dakota R/T's sold one and got an 02 Concode Lxi
I bought thru a wholesaler last year 80,000K for $`13,000.00 CDN Last week looked at an 03 Lx at a dealer for $19,000.00 CDN

This is what I see as wrong with Chrysler there is a major problem in pricing their vehicles, used prices (retail) are to hi.

My son is looking at a current Sebring, because he says they are the fastest depreciating car around

The new 300's are listed for around $30,000+ CDN in my area yet in checking with the wholesaler one year old V6's are running less than $18,000.-- the Hemi around $22,000

I feel if Chrysler wants to move vehicles they need to do something about used prices, wholesale seems O.K. retail off the wall.

Just my 2 cents
Terry in BC

Hmm...
Interesting.
I've thought all vehicles have been overpriced in general for quite sometime now.
Especially when you take into account a high percentage of the components are manufactured in low wage countries and only "assembled" in NA (if that).

The first and lst new car I bought was a 2002 neon (that the.....ahem....ex.... now owns) and we paid just over 23 grand Cdn for that. I'll never buy a new car off the lot again. there's just too much depreciation in it.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
686 Posts
The other issue in Canada is the price disparity between it's same U.S counterpart.

This was understandable when the CDN $ was only worth 60 cents U.S. But with the CDN $ now being at 90 cents U.S, there is absolutely no justification for automakers to be gouging Canadain car buyers like this.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
boltuprite said:
The other issue in Canada is the price disparity between it's same U.S counterpart.

This was understandable when the CDN $ was only worth 60 cents U.S. But with the CDN $ now being at 90 cents U.S, there is absolutely no justification for automakers to be gouging Canadain car buyers like this.
Just think......the US carmakers were tacking about a 30% exchange rate on their cars, and the Japanese carmakers were tacking about 50% onto their cars. Now the exchange rates have changed, but the MSRP's haven't.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yep, there was an article in the paper this weekend about this very issue. If you have cash it's better to cross border shop. Just pay the GST and the AC tax when you bring it into Canada (no PST).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
boltuprite said:
Yep, there was an article in the paper this weekend about this very issue. If you have cash it's better to cross border shop. Just pay the GST and the AC tax when you bring it into Canada (no PST).

Sorry you have to pay PST also at the border. I don't believe you can get your american sales tax returned.

·
Registered
843 Posts
adaptabl said:
Sorry you have to pay PST also at the border. I don't believe you can get your american sales tax returned.
If your close to NH then theres no sales tax at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts