DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,
I met with my machinist this morning...
I gave him the factory 2.7 thermostat to see if we can produce our famous CGR 160* t-stat for you guys. It looks very hopeful, and we should know something in the next couple of weeks.

Will there be the interest in this project from you guys??

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Veeb0rg said:
i don't like your machinist..
??

What's up with that???

·
Registered
566 Posts
What does this do....
Well, the thermostat controls the flow of coolant to the motor. In the modern engines, the t-stat is usually set to open between 180 - 200 degrees. This is strictly for emissions. You will lose power with the t-stat opening at that temperature. Research on other platforms show that there can be a 2-4 hp gain by simply switching to a 160 degree t-stat. A cooler motor will produce more power. If you couple this with either a KB PCM, or some other sort of thermal control device...(like the Cincinnati Ghetto Racing Fan Switch) you can have a very consistant car. Thermal management is key to bracket racing, and racing in general. The holes will allow small amounts of coolant flow with the thermostat closed. This will slow how quickly the motor will heat up. Also, will allow the motor to more evenly warm up. With a closed t-stat, the trapped coolant in the heads can boil off with the rapidly increasing temperatures during a 1/4 mile run. This can cause Knock to occur, and Knock is not a good thing to occur. IF the PCM detects Knock, it will retard the timing, which can rob a significant amount of horsepower.
Quoted from here where he was also addressing the issue of t-stats with 'extra' holes or not as the oem is setup:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61889

·
Registered
391 Posts
this might a le retarded question, but does this mod put more stress on the water pump?

just wondering cuz if the water pump gets busted in our 2.7s then its sludge time :brutal_40

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLASK02 said:
this might a le retarded question, but does this mod put more stress on the water pump?

just wondering cuz if the water pump gets busted in our 2.7s then its sludge time :brutal_40

Well, if anything...the drilled holes in the thermostat would relieve pressure on the water pump. It isn't pushing against a totally sealed thermostat. This is a good mod for the performance minded driver...however...I think it might be essential to the extension of the life expectancy of the 2.7. I think another solution (that will go hand in hand with this) is an external oil cooler...and I don't mean just the one in the radiator. I mean plumbing one into, not unlike the tranny cooler setup.

But the thermostat will help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm intrested in cheap HP! But, Like a n00b I must ask, what about completely removing it? I've heard places that running TOO cool will mess things up but I had a boat with a 114hp inboard that I just got tired of messing with it so I removed it, didn't seem to hurt the boat but i'm nowher near an expert... =\

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to allow the motor to warm up a certain amount, or the CEL will be set. Some racers will put a washer in place of the thermostat to maintain a similar amount of restriction in the coolant flow. I would not recommend this though due to the reason stated above!!!

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok..
Here is the word from the machinist...
These are a go!!!

Here are the prices:
Non-Drilled: $30 shipped
Drilled: $35 shipped

If interested, please send payment via Paypal to:
[email protected]