DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knows if there is some kind of screen or or some kind of electronic sensor somewhere in the throttle body that could possibly be cleaned off in the 1st gen's? also it looks like the air intake goes into the engine in two places(the back of the engine on the left, and on the right side of the back...)is that right or am i looking at something else.any answer would be great, thanks. ps. i finally got my car looking almost exactly how I always wanted it to. I will post pics as soon as i figure out how. thanks

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
well first off, there are two throttle bodies on the 1st gen 3.5, one on the left and one on the right, so you were correct in seeing that air enters from two points. the black stick with the linkage connects them and synchonizes them so they move simultaneously and precisely together. there is an electronic sensor aptly named the Throttle Position Sensor on the passenger side TB. there is an electronic connector that plugs in on the side of the TB, this is how you locate the sensor. if you unplug the harness the sensor comes out with two screws but if there is nothing causing a problem (check engine light) i wouldn't bother taking it apart. you can't clean it because it's a sealed unit. it just snaps into two prongs on the TB shaft and that's it.

if you really wanted to you could disconnect the large black air intake, take off both TBs and clean them with carb/TB cleaner but they will just get dirty again soon. pretty much i would say if it ain't broke then don't fix it. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a problem with stalling and rough idle once so I sprayed the intake manifold with manifold cleaner and what a difference. I knew what to do because my older Dodge spirit with the 3.0 liter had the same problem when the intake got gummed up. But like it said in the last post, don't do it unless you really have to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Go to a dealer, they cleaned out my throttle bodies for $50 canadian, I could have done it my self but, it's too much of a pain.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the work isn't all that hard, but if you take the TBs off you have to synchonize them and then risk screwing up the throttle linkage and that big stopper spring on the stick. also if you take them off you risk having to buy new gaskets. if the price is that cheap i'd let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey ( 42875 ) my friend, what do you mean by rough idle?You are describing maybe shaking a little while in idle??? I am having that shaking issue still with mine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
me too...it wont stop, and i figure leave it the way it is...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
cleaning the cam and crank position sensors might help with this. i cleaned the cam sensor and the shaking decreased, but i still need to clean the crank sensor one of these days....sigh.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention if you do decide to do it yourself. You might need someone to hold the idle up by pressing the gas pedal. Spraying to much intake cleaner sometimes stalls the car out if it's at idle. It's really easy and cheap although my buddy had his done at Dodge and it seemed to work a little better. Not that much though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts