DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i did search this topic and it turned up one thread with 3 responses. when cleaning the engine what are you using to cover the alternator, belts and electric parts. this will be the first time attempting this and i really perferr not to kill anything. so anyone got a step by step for us rookies they might be willing to type out and shed some light onto

Thanks

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
The only step: Be careful!

Engines get wet and/or damp all the time. You really don't need to "cover" anything specific. What you need to do is just follow the obvious school of thought that water and electricity do not work together well. Get yourself a quality engine degreaser (people will never agree on what works best), spray on a good amount, let sit for a little while and rinse off. That doesnt mean dunk the front end of your car in a swimming pool or soak everything. You really just want to be careful not to get excessive amounts of water into electrical connections. A few drops or a light spray will dry up in the sun. You may want to repeat this process a few times and it is likely you will need to get some hard to reach places with a rag and your hands. If you wish, you can even use a pressure washer. I have a number of times and all of my cars still run just fine. But again, you need to be mindful of anything electrical in nature. Take your time and let the car sit for a while before starting. Cleaning your engine on a sunny day tends to work best for me. Any other specific questions, just ask...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Tin foil works well. Cover the obvious wiring plugs, the power center, the air filter, the cam sensor. Don't use a pressure washer, use a decent degreaser on a cold engine, let it sit 15+ minutes, and hose it off with a freely running garden hose (no sprayer).

After washing, take the car out for a long, hot drive. Keep a can of 'wire dry' with you just in case water got into one of the wiring plugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts