DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, here it is. I got some BS engine codes, all having to do with an evap leak, that i cant find even though i have had a smoke test, replaced the leak detection pump, canister, and filler cap. I dont really care about the evap leak as it is so small i cant even find it and my car is still running fine. the real problem is i cant pass inspection till the check engine light comes off. anyone know of a salution to my problems here. some thing has to give because at the end of this month my inspection will be expired and im **** outta luck.

Thanks DI, you have never let me down in the past

Ps- P0442, p0455, p0456.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
From what I was seeing in a program that has all the codes for the Dodge Intrepids, the codes you stated points to the Fuel filler cap. If you have replaced it, did you reset the computer? If you havem the fuel cap could be bad even if it was replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, mine does that too. There's probably nothing really wrong with your car. Those check engine lights are just hypersensitive since the OBD-II computers. As the car ages, it is almost impossible to keep emissions perfectly within spec, and the parameters in the computer are so narrow. I open up the fuse box under the hood and remove the two fuses that are marked PCM. Leave them out for a minute or so and put them back in. This clears the computer without messing up the clock, radio, etc. It requires no tools, it's fast, and I don't even get my hands dirty. After I do this, I don't see the check engine light again for thousands of miles. Hopefully, this will buy you enough time to get it past the smog police, especially since your car isn't a gross polluter anyway.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Let me guess...02 or newer? Evidently it is a very common problem with the Treps. Both mine have the problem as do quite a few others here. There is a small vaccuum line above the gas tank that gets worn and cracks, causing the leak. From what I understand, when Dodge/ Chrysler made the cut backs in 02, they changed the system from a pressure to a vaccuum system, but didn't make any changes to the lines. It's about 6 inches long and not hard to change if you are mechanically inclined. Pull the two PCM fuses for about 15 mins to reset the computer before your test.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I think it might be a problem with the filler stem itself. any way to check that? also do you think pulling the pcm fuses will reset the emitions checks in the computer, because this would be counter productive. I know that if i disconnect the battery this will be the result, so thats not an option. new york makes this whole process so difficult.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I think it might be a problem with the filler stem itself. any way to check that? also do you think pulling the pcm fuses will reset the emitions checks in the computer, because this would be counter productive. I know that if i disconnect the battery this will be the result, so thats not an option. new york makes this whole process so difficult.

Thanks guys.
I pull mine two or three times a month, it gets worse when cold.

Since yours is a 2000, it may be something different then

·
Registered
10,378 Posts

Thanks guys.
Unless the State of New York has a DRBIII and has to punch information into the PCM, they will never know you reset the PCM and you can get away with it. That is unless (I am not fimilar with 2nd gen treps programming) you pull the fuse and it once the power is restored it gives you a battery has been disconnected... code and (If anal as Califonia when checking codes) they pull codes and it shows that.

I would just either fix the problem, or remove the bulb temporary lto get the inspection done and put it back in (That is unless they check codes).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unless the State of New York has a DRBIII and has to punch information into the PCM, they will never know you reset the PCM and you can get away with it. That is unless (I am not fimilar with 2nd gen treps programming) you pull the fuse and it once the power is restored it gives you a battery has been disconnected... code and (If anal as Califonia when checking codes) they pull codes and it shows that.

I would just either fix the problem, or remove the bulb temporary lto get the inspection done and put it back in (That is unless they check codes).
removing the bulb it doesn't change anything cuz that why what they did with my car when i bought it

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
removing the bulb it doesn't change anything cuz that why what they did with my car when i bought it
Yea it does. It hides the problem. I would have punched that salesman in the ear for taking that bulb out, and selling me the car.

I would unplug the battery to reset the code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts