DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 dodge intrepid. I just replaced steering rack, however when going to attach the steering column back I made a big mistake and grabbed the wheel for support and spun it
This of course broke the clock spring since my airbag light cruise control and horn are now broken. So my question is, I am looking for a new/used clock spring and want to know what other clock springs are compatible with my model?? Thanks for your help.

PS also, if I were to disconnect the steering wheel and rotate it a few times to where it use to be, would this possibly fix my clock spring or did I break it for good?

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
...PS also, if I were to disconnect the steering wheel and rotate it a few times to where it use to be, would this possibly fix my clock spring or did I break it for good?
No - you tore the clock spring in two pieces - stick a fork in it 'cause it's done.

I believe 98 to 2000, 2001+ you'll have to swap out the plugs on the airbag.
Also, with 2001, they introduced the steering wheel radio controls which has a different (7-wire) clockspring - so if you do go with an '01, make sure it is the 5-wire one (no radio controls on steering wheel).

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
Yep any 5 wire clock spring will do for you. (No audio controls). The swapping of the connector for the airbag is super easy if you end up with a later year clockspring. Easy to take the connector apart and just put the pins back in your original connector shell. There's no polarity to worry about on those two wires/pins. Just put them back in the connector shell whichever way is convenient to assemble it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts