DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used the Meguires stuff on my Ram's headlights, and, well, they still look old. But the look more like they have 100,000 miles on them instead of 300,000. I'd say it did a fair job, and, eventhough it's by Meguires, it wasn't too expensive.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
I use to use this stuff called Novus Plastic Polish.. its like 12$ on ebay.. its a 3 step system..

i used it on everything.. works well.. thou I got new housings for christmas..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I thought I'd give in and try it out. I bought some of the Permatex stuff yesterday for about $13 at Auto Zone. I took it home and tried it on my Ram, which I had already cleaned about a month ago with Mequires. Well, it put the Meguires to shame! This stuff works great. I went through all the grits of paper, and ended up applying 4 coats of the polish before I was satisfied, but you can actually see the detail on the bulb inside the lens now. Not "good as new," but damn close... Working in a body shop for a while, I was taught to take diagonal strokes when wetsanding, so I did that the first two, then horizontal, then vertical. It doesn't say to do that, but a diagonal stroke (I feel) is more effective. Also, take a little extra time to let the polish dry completely before buffing it off... This is better than the Meguires stuff in my opinion, but it takes alot more work. Meguires was a non-abrasive cleaner, it was more like waxing, as opposed to wet sanding. Now that the lenses are clearer, I may use the Meguires to help seal and protect them, which I feel is a better application for the Meguires. I'd say that the Permatex is worth the money though, it saves alot compared to buying new lenses...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts