DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my es to the dealer last week to fix the loose steering I had. I also told them about the clunking in the front while making turns. They replaced the steering bushings and the clunking is now worst. After driving around for a few days and complaining they will work me in on Wed. Any ideas what the problem may be? May have to help the mechanic to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Could be a couple things. Maybe a tie rod/end, control arm, ball joint, or wheel bearing. Those would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
CV joint?

·
Registered
530 Posts
hmmm.. my 96 Concorde did the same same.. I replaced the inner-tie rod and sway bar links.. good luck

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
On my 95 Intrepid, I noticed the same thing. It would only seem to happen when it was really cold outside, though. I have no doubt that the problem was still there, it's just that I didn't hear the noise when it was warmer.

I too think it's gotta be something like the inner tie rods or other steering component. Don't know if that helps you at all... just relaying my experiences.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The tie-rods on the first gens are for lack of a better term, ****. (Damn 3rd party vendors :) )

Easy way to check them, look under the hood, you will see the tierod running into the wheel area. Grab each one and try to wiggle it. if you hear a clunking sound or there is a lot of play while your doing this, they need to be replaced.

The sway bar links wear out as well, and are also a cause of a lot of front end clunks, but these are cheap and easy to fix as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mine does the same thing and just started Christmas day when it was cold outside. It stopped after I drove it for awhile and did it just a little today. Its the first time its been remotely cold here since I've had the car and I guess cold does something to those joints? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by '96ES:
Took my es to the dealer last week to fix the loose steering I had. I also told them about the clunking in the front while making turns. They replaced the steering bushings and the clunking is now worst. After driving around for a few days and complaining they will work me in on Wed. Any ideas what the problem may be? May have to help the mechanic to troubleshoot.
--12/26/01 Dealer says that it is the steering rack. What componets this consist of I don't know. I am glad that I bought the warrenty.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Starscream:
Mine does the same thing and just started Christmas day when it was cold outside. It stopped after I drove it for awhile and did it just a little today. Its the first time its been remotely cold here since I've had the car and I guess cold does something to those joints? :confused:
I think its something we have to deal with in these cars. i just had all that steering/tierod **** replaced on my car and it still clunks and creaks when its cold out. It stops after about 10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I.m on my second intrepid. I bought a 95 in June and had the clunking problem. A mechanic wanted $350 to fix it. Basically get the front tires off the ground. If there is excessive play when you turn them it is probably the inner tierod bushing. They cost 6.99 at any aut parts store. I changed them on the 95 with a 3.3 engine in a few hours. About 15 minutes to loosen the steering gear unbolt and replace and 1 hour 45 minutes looking for the bolts and washers that fall on top of the tranny.

If you are gonna do it, loosen all the mounting bolts on both sides of the steering gear so you can push it back a few inches. Then it is basically flatten out the lock washer and loosen.
I got in an accident with the 95 that crushed the computer, so I just bought her a 94 ES. Same problem, but with the 3.5 motor, I cant see the tierods to save my life. I guess it would be easier to pull the motor to change them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts