DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an occasional rough start. it has not started happening until it got warm. this usually occurs in the afternoon when my car sits out during work. it wil start, have very low rpm and die. i can then get it running by starting it and holding the gas down and holding high rpm for a few seconds then idle is fine. if i start it up 10 minutes later-fine. this made me think i had a fuel delivery problem or an injector leaking.fuel pressure is good, filter is recent. never did it in winter, but prior owner had same issue last summer. i never got any codes after i got it running-straight code 55. slightly rough idle in gear.
well, this happened this afternoon but before restarting it with added throttle, i ran key trick and got a code 14. then started and ran car and shut it off again and then got no codes-straight 55. are map sensors sensitive to warm weather. could this be map, or something else with fuel delivery? 96 3.5.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If your getting code 14 then the MAP Sensor is my guess, since it has alot to do when you first start the car. Here some info on it:

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor

OPERATION

The PCM supplies 5 volts to the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. The MAP sensor converts what it reads as the amount of intake manifold pressure into a return signal. The PCM monitors the MAP sensor output voltage. As vacuum increases in the intake manifold, the MAP sensor voltage decreases proportionately. Also, as vacuum decreases, the MAP sensor voltage increases proportionately.

During engine cranking, before the engine starts running, the PCM determines atmospheric air pressure from the MAP sensor voltage. While the engine operates, the PCM determines the intake manifold pressure from the MAP sensor voltage.

Based on MAP sensor voltage and inputs from other sensors, the PCM adjusts spark advance and the air/fuel mixture.

One other sensor that has to do with temperature, is the IAT Sensor:

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

OPERATION

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor threads into the intake plenum and measures the air temperature. The IAT sensor provides an input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on a circuit. From this circuit, the sensor draws a voltage from the PCM. The sensor is a variable resistor. As intake air temperature changes, the resistance in the sensor changes, causing a change in the current draw.

The PCM then provides a ground path for the intake air temperature sensor signal through a circuit. The circuit connects to a cavity of the PCM connector.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i disconnected the elec connector and tested the voltage at the terminal-fine. i reconnected it and was off to the local murrays-he owed me $80 for a shitty set of bosch wires that are life guarantee that i switched with oem. replaced the map with the trade cash and there IS a difference. at least for now with the idle and the performance. i have read where someone switched one of these out only to have the problem come back after the pcm adjusted itself. real test will be tomorrow when it sits at work all day. we'll see. idle is like butter in park, very slightly rough in gear. maybe i'm too picky. knockin on wood for tomorrow. easiest thing i've replaced on this car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts