DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home today and all of a sudden CHECK ENGINE light pops on. I cycled the ignition and got a code 12 (like always) and a code 31.

According to the Haynes manual, a code 31 means "Problem with the canister purge solenoid circuit." I don't know where to start with this code. Could it be any more vague?

I found a diagram on page 6-18 that explains the EVAP purge solenoid and where it is located. It states in the manual "The EVAP system won't fail during the service life of the vehicle; however, if it does, the hoses or charcoal canister are usually to blame." Do I start chucking parts at this area of the engine? I need some input here.

I am wondering if any of you guys had this code and what you did to correct it. Is this a serious problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just checked at Carparts.com and found a "Canister Filter, ; W/ 4.5" DIAMETER" for like $1.22. It also appears that a new solenoid is $50-60. Am I on the right track with this??

It's kind of funny that this happened right at 110,000 miles!! I am having a bad year. I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled next Friday. That is where I was going when this now happened. :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
Could simply be the hoses that run to the evap can or the solenoid that open and closes like a **** load all the time. I'm sorta rushed, I'll help you when I get time. Going to play with my friend's toyota supra with brand new front mount, nice bug collector.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The check engine light just turned off yesterday. I was sitting at a light and the car suddered for a split second and then the light popped off. It didn't come back on for the rest of the ride home. I ran the codes and the code 31 is still there. I don't think this is a vacuum line problem because how could it correct itself? :confused: I think it is an electrical problem. Maybe it is the solenoid itself. I have to figure out how to find the trouble spot. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just drove about 80 more miles today and the light didn't come back on but the code is still there. Why is this? Does the light only stay on for 100 miles or something? That is about how long it was on before it turned off. The code is still a 31. Does that code stay stored until it is cleared or something???

Driving me nuts!!! :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the codes do get stored and will appear until cleared. They should clear after "X" cycles of the ignition and normal operation of the car. However I don't remember what "X" was. This was the case in my son's 1997 Neon Sport anyway. Disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes may also reset the onboard computer and achieve the same thing.

- MC

·
Registered
8 Posts
clearing codes from computers memory

I believe the computer will clear all codes on the 31st ignition cycle: it records the first 30 battery disconnections.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I believe someone else in the forum had a similar issue..
this can all be caused by not screwing the gas cap on tight enough :)

Codes don't leave the computer once they are stored, but the light will go off when the problem stops being a problem

disconnect your batter for a couple mins.. and see if the code comes back later.

and remember to give that gas cap an extra twist :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts