DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whoa! So, I'm on my way home and the CEL light comes on, the engine stumbles, loses power entirely, and I pull over into a rest stop. No restart, so I called AAA and got a tow home.

Here are the codes I pulled. If any of y'all can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful:

2002 Intrepid ES 3.5l

Current Faults:
P0122 Powertrain throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input
P0129 Powertrain (no description)
P0335 Powertrain crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0340 Powertrain camshaft position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor)

Pending Faults:
P0113 Powertrain intake air temperature circuit high input
P0129 (no description)

I'm hoping this combination of codes is something simple like a loose connector block or blown fuse, but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Hi RKBAGUY.

My guess is that there's a wiring or PCM problem on your 5V sensor power or ground - either a wiring issue or a failure on the +5V power internal to the PCM. All those sensors (and others) get there power and ground from the same 2 wires from the PCM. There are several fuses going to the PCM - see the FSM for your year car. Perhaps the one that supplies voltage for the +5V sensor power blew.

FYI, try to give the year and engine of your car on technical questions. There were some serious wiring changes over the years (primarily 2001 and 2002 - some sensors added and removed, some fuses re-arranged, etc.). It helps us to have that information when trying to help you troubleshoot. Some people put it in their profile or signature so it's already there automatically with every post.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
PCM is located directly behind the windshield washer bottle filler tube and the cruise control servo -- which are behind the driver side headlight.
Rectangular aluminum box with four cables connected to it.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
For shits and giggles, unplug the a/c pressure transducer switch; you'll find it in the a/c line going from the compressor to the condenser; and see if everything returns to normal.

I've seen them short out to the sensor common and cause all kinds of codes like you have.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
2002 Intrepid ES 3.5l

Current Faults:
P0122 Powertrain throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input
P0129 Powertrain (no description)
P0335 Powertrain crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0340 Powertrain camshaft position sensor A circuit (bank 1 or single sensor)

Pending Faults:
P0113 Powertrain intake air temperature circuit high input
P0129 (no description)
For shits and giggles, unplug the a/c pressure transducer switch; you'll find it in the a/c line going from the compressor to the condenser; and see if everything returns to normal.

I've seen them short out to the sensor common and cause all kinds of codes like you have.
Really - that is something I would never thought of. A/C causing powertrain codes...

But - Dan has been working on these LH's since 1992 B.C.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Really - that is something I would never thought of. A/C causing powertrain codes...

But - Dan has been working on these LH's since 1992 B.C.
Yep, the pressure transducer switch is wired into sensor common, and the ECM/PCM monitors it.

Ive seen probably about 5 of them short out in my time; one so bad the car wouldnt run; list of codes with no obvious problem; unplug the shorted transducer switch; all is well.

May or may not be this guy's issue but its one of those silly things worth checking before you dive head first into diagnostics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, the pressure transducer switch is wired into sensor common, and the ECM/PCM monitors it.

Ive seen probably about 5 of them short out in my time; one so bad the car wouldnt run; list of codes with no obvious problem; unplug the shorted transducer switch; all is well.

May or may not be this guy's issue but its one of those silly things worth checking before you dive head first into diagnostics.
Is this what I'm looking for, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
I forgot about the a.c. pressure transducer often causing this - good call, Dan - might be the problem.

Is this what I'm looking for, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
No - that's the compressor clutch connector. Item '3' in this diagram - on the discharge (high pressure) hose (the one going to the condenser):

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
wow I had this issue for a few weeks when I refilled my a/c system and was baffled. good to know what the fix is when it comes back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot about the a.c. pressure transducer often causing this - good call, Dan - might be the problem.

No - that's the compressor clutch connector. Item '3' in this diagram - on the discharge (high pressure) hose (the one going to the condenser):
Roger that. Would pulling the AC or climate control fuse accomplish the same thing? I can't fit my hands down there, and was hoping to avoid having to remove that front bracket on top of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Sorry - no. Pulling the fuse will not help. The +5V sensor power powers all the sensors in parallel. Those fuses don’t affect the sensor power. If the transducer is the problem, it is shorting the +5V to ground so that the other sensors don’t get the power they need to operate.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Luckily, I was able to access the connector by removing the right front headlight and unplug it. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I guess the next step would be to check the voltage to the PCM. She cranks and I smell unburned fuel, so I'm guessing there's no spark.

If you guys can think of anything else, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, fellas, the mystery has been solved.

When the AC transducer didn't work, I checked the PCM. Turns out the connector for the engine harness had worked its way loose from the mount on the PCM body. I wiggled it, the connector popped off, so I seated it firmly back on and everything is good to go.

Thanks to all for the great help!

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
These things can be frustrating, but your persistence paid off. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts