DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday my CEL lit, but there were no codes stored (...done) and the car drives fine. At the next start up it threw P0700 (Genreic tranny fault), still the car drives fine. It's been on for several start-up cycles now but no limp mode, car shifts normal in D or A/S, fluid is fine (ATF+4), tranny was (dealer) flushed last April.

I've searched a pile on here but the P0700 seems to always be accompanied by limp mode. Not in my case...

I'm going to check the connections on the input & output sensors tonight then pull the battery ground to reset the PCM/TCM to see if that kills it. If it comes back on should I go ahead and change the sensors or dig deeper first ?

Anyone know of places (in Canada) that will scan my ODBII gratis ?
Any other advice ??

·
Registered
279 Posts
According to this I found, it should be giving you another code......

POSSIBLE CAUSES

PCM internal or SPI
The Transmission/Transaxle Controller monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to Transmission/Transaxle Control. If any malfunction is detected, they inform the PCM by sending a signal - By illuminating the MIL and by setting the P0700 code.

P0700 means that a code has been set in the Transmission/Transaxle Controller.

This code is for information ONLY.

If P0700 is present, check for Transmission/Transaxle codes.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what's stumping me, I'm expecting to see another code along with it. My '02 has a combined PCM/TCM.

Is it telling me to look elsewhere for a stored code (ODBII readable only) ?

Again, the car is driving perfectly fine. I've had no awkward shifts or other symptoms.

The only other time I threw a code was when I was dickin' around with the O2 sensor plugs with the engine running (my bad).

I'm not liking this "Orange Alert" type warning, "something is threatening your vehicle... could be catastrophic, could be nothing. To find out, proceed to dealership, empty wallet on counter, dealer will perform all repairs even remotely associated with your tranny. CEL may or may not return immediately after repairs."

·
Woober Goobers!
50,357 Posts
The P0700 is the only code you'll see in the odometer display. You'll have to get someone to scan for the other codes that you can't see with a DRB or other scan tool via the diagnostics port at the bottom of the dash. It could be a spped sensor starting to act up or a bad connection.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I go and buy a generic scan tool, would I see it ? I'd much rather pay for a tool than pay someone to use their's.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,357 Posts
I've never done it myself. Places like Autozone can do it here so I'd say what they use isn't top of the line expensive. I would think whatever you get would need to be OBD II compliant. Whatever other codes for the trans that are in there should be either P17XX or P07XX series codes. If you get the codes I've got the Transmission Diagnostic Procedures manual for the detailed descriptions. Maybe someone can recommend a scan tool..I've never used one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will need an actual DRBIII scan tool to read tranny codes or any other module faults for that matter. The generic OBDII scan tools are basically useless for our cars as they will only read emissions related codes-something you can do w/ your odometer display. This is a minimim as required by federal emmissions regs., but D.C. dosent want to tell you more than they have to-to protect service department revinue....you know-that $80 they charge you just to plug it in...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.... I reset it last night. Cruising in this morning it came back (30km after reset cruising at 130km/h). No symptoms. Guess I'll go ahead and order input / output sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts