DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.

So I got a bunch of movies from a friend who downloaded them via torrents. They all play fine on his computer. However, when I tried to play them on my new laptop, it keeps giving me a codec error on all the .m4v files. Specifically it says:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

So I guess I need to find the codec files online and install them. My problem is I have no clue where to get them from or which ones to use.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also want to add that I've tried Quicktime and Real player, as well as several other players, all without success.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Downloaded and installed K-Lite Mega Pack Codec, but now I have a new problem.

The video will now open up, and isnt giving me the codec error, but now it still won't play.

It basically either jumps to the very end of the movie and its stuck there, or the bar at the bottom is stuck at the beginning and wont start actually playing the movie.

This is only with the .m4v files.

Maybe it has something to do with the settings in the K-Lite encoder/decoder? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VLC wasn't working either, but I figured out why.

The reason the .M4V files weren't working was b/c my friend accidentally gave me his iTunes copy of them. instead of the ones he downloaded off of torrents. So the error it was giving me was b/c it needed my computer to be authorized to play items from my friend's iTunes account. Problem solved though. He came over and we transferred all 982GB worth of movies he had onto my external hard drives. Just FYI, thats about 600 movies. Im loving it.

Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts