DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that!/Users/charliemarcus/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2006/06/13/IMG_1226.JPG/Users/charliemarcus/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2006/06/13/IMG_1227.JPG/Users/charliemarcus/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2006/06/13/IMG_1228.JPG

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You have to host them online first, like at photobucket. Then you insert the URL of the photo in between these tags "
" You won't have the ", but I had to put those in or it would think I was posting a picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
air filter: 30$
coupler: 10$
I had the 3" aluminum pipe as scrap at the shop, and cut it to size. so overall, it cost me around 40 bucks. not bad. and the heat shield was also a quick job. there was way to much hot air around the filter. after i installed it, I noticed about a 20 degree difference (just hand checked after running it hard). so if you would build one, i highly recommend a heat shield.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
silver&gold said:
Looks good but what is the purpose for the bonding/grounding wire attached to it?
Probably to keep it in place and not flopping all around. At least that's my theory on it.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
You may want to redesign it a bit and eliminate the rear airbox. I tested a couple and they were pretty restrictive as well.

Also I am not sure what thickness pipe you are using but some insulation may keep the air temps down further.

Your heat shield isn't too effective since the hot air can still flow freely under and around the intake pipe. You need to seal the cone filter away from the heat to be effective, your mini-shield is just redirecting it backwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True...the wire is meant to keep it from flopping around, and to pull the pipe away from the heat as much as possible. Also...question for "j-intakes"-what then do i do with the MAP sensor if I remove the rear airbox? I was wondering that when I first designed the intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mopar Dewd said:
Another question - do you notice a difference in your power/acceleration?
yes...not quite as much as I had hoped, but I am in the works of getting more fresh air to the filter, and also the possibility of removing the rear airbox.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
trep232 said:
True...the wire is meant to keep it from flopping around, and to pull the pipe away from the heat as much as possible. Also...question for "j-intakes"-what then do i do with the MAP sensor if I remove the rear airbox? I was wondering that when I first designed the intake.
There is no sensor in the rear box, the only sensor in any intrepid intakes is the air temp sensor which os on the rubber throttle body bend for 2002-up cars

If you make a full heatshield like the ones I use then the weight of the intake is supported by the sheild itself. I reuse the OEM mounting post to keep the front of the sheild and one bolt for the STB at the rear

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
JoeKD said:
There is no sensor in the rear box, the only sensor in any intrepid intakes is the air temp sensor which os on the rubber throttle body bend for 2002-up cars
Yeah I just found that one out the other day, that the IAT is in a different place than the 2001 and before. '98-'01 its in the plenum on the driver's side between the last 2 coils. On the '02-'04 apparently they moved it to the "J bend" or the last elbow before the TB. Anyone have any idea why the relocation? Its also the idea for a mod I've seen, relocating the IAT further down away from the heat.

the MAP sensor on all years should be at the driver's front of the plenum. Near the coolant bleeder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.