DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the cheapest place to get a good K&N Cold air intake package? I have found them on e-bay for $197 but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get one cheaper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Consider this; you call it a cold air kit right? The factory air box actually draws air in from outside the engine compartment; truelly a 'cold air intake' in my mind. You want to install an aftermarket kit that draws its air from the engine compartment; hmmmm. Please understand I am not being critical; I just want you all to think this out. What I did was buy a KN drop in air filter into my factory box. That took 0.05 off my 0-60 time. I then drilled out the spot welds that hold the little scoop thing onto the outside of the inner fender, in the wheel well area. I gained an additional .15, for a total of .2 reduction.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,319 Posts
The K&N kit has a metal shroud that keeps the heat away from where the filter draws air. The filter cone is in about the same place as the standard air filter and draws it's cold air from the wheel well area the same as the stock airbox. If you just slap on a tube and a cone filter and leave it in the engine compartment without the shroud, then it wouldn't be cold air.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Jimmy79 said:
Ok I think I found it, Is it KN-57-1522 ? If that is it it says 3.5L I have a 2001 ES 3.2L Is this the right one I need?
Yes the engine envelope is the same for the 3 liters. The 3.5 model will fit fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts