DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, ive encountered this problem enough times that it is making me mad.
I havent driven my car in 2 weeks...its just been sitting (finals and what not)...the house that i leave the car at is out of town, and i told my buddy thta lives there to go give it a crank. he called me just now and told me the damn thing wouldnt start,...didnt want to kill my starter, but even still it didnt want to spark, he tried on and off for 20 mins...
Last year had a similar problem: the damn thing wouldnt start in the cold without extreme prejudice. the wind chill in gaylord MI was real bad, the fuel lines froze (despite the presence of methonol...it was alright then cause the 'ol Polaris would start right up, and thats all you need up there...a fast sled)
HOWEVER, it seems as soon as the thermometer drops below 40 degrees, the car doesnt want to start. any help? anyone experiencing similar probs>?? (anything excluding spraying WD-40 into the tb's) thanks!!

here's me...>>>> (crankcrankcrank) :mad:
heres me after help: > (crankcrankSPUTTER) :) (crankSPUTTERvroom) :D

(sputtter sputter dead) :( :mad:

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
First of all, wind chill has no effect on inanimate objects such as cars, so that isn't even a cause.

I can only think of a few things to do.

1. Check your anti-freeze, or have it changed. Perhaps its gone south, or isn't suitable for the weather.

2. If your car has a block heater, plug it in. If not, get one. :)

3. Dump some HEET or similar fuel line anti-freeze into the tank at every fill to remove the water and eliminate line freeze.

4. Fuel filter. You never know.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
actually, wind chill does have some effect on objects such as a warm engine. the engine can only reach the ambient temperature, not the windchill temperature, HOWEVER, if the windchill is below the ambient temp the engine will cool TO the ambient temp faster than if there was no wind chill. but as far as this problem is concerned windchill has no effect, so you're right.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
windchill maybe played a factor, but either way, it was definitely below 0 and the car sat for only a night...thats all it took.
lotsa lake effect snow and what not.
thanks LHSer on the tips, i plan on at least replacing the fuel filter ASAP b4 my 950+ mile trip to detroit from boston on the 21st.
i believe the problem may be stemming from a few things. bad priming, and a small fuel leak. the car is auto-primed, right? no need to pump the gas to start. last i checked, there is a small fuel leak near the filler hose...so yes, i probably have some water in the lines...im gonna get that fixed AF'nSAP... but otherwise, i didnt have a leak last christmas...so i dunno. maybe santa could put a block heater on my list this year!
but for the time being...(crankcrank crank sputter...crank crank crank sputter....) :rolleyes:

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Valhalla 21340 ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
my car i think is tempermental...sometimes it will start really hard and others it'll fire right up....i dont know what the damn deal is...oh well as long as it DOES start... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
it hasn't even gone below 0 here yet and mine has started hard on a few occasions. however once it gets hot all subsequent times that day it busts right up as normal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I live up in north dakota where it gets nice & cold -20 (last year, not this year yet unfortunatly) and my intrepid starts up fairly easily, if i plug in the block heater it starts up like a normal above freezing day. I usually run a bottle of heat through mine every 4-5 tanks. Just my own personal experiance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts