DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Trep, and since I have had it, I get a very high pitched squeal in below 0 dgs Celsius... It happens at 40K and then again right around 120K (which is generally my high way speed).. I have a co-worker that also owns a Trep., and has the same complaints.. I have talk with my local Chrysler garage and they claim it is a known issue, but don't know the cause...

It is obviously a vacuum noise (just by the level of the pitch) but I cannot pinpoint the area...

Here in Eastern Canada, the leaves are changing colors, so that means that minus cold weather isn't far behind, and I would really love to avoid the stares and dogs covering their ears this year...

I have attempted to get the Mrs. to lay under the hood and hit the highway to narrow down the location, but after all I do for her, I get a flat out NO...Imagine...

So, any hints would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
power steering?? Changing out the fluid for fresh (search the forums for how-to) does wonders......

If not the PS, then get a can or spray starting fluid and shoot small squirts around the vacuum lines and intake manifold gaskets whit the engine is running. Short Spurts!!

If you get a change in engine speed (the vacuum leak pulling in the starting fluid), you're close to a vacuum break....

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My 02 does this as well, allthough once she gets to operating temp, the squeel goes away. Your assumption of it being vacuum noise seems plausible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts