DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I we're in a disageement on whether it's good or not good for your car to warm up in winter, like say 10-15 minutes before you drive it or let it warm up for a minute then drive it till it warms up. I was always told it is better to warm it up for a minute then drive it slow till everything warms up, this way your engine and all the moving parts heat up at the same time. She thinks the opposite is better, I like to proove her wrong on this one.

Which way do you guy's think would be the propper way to warm your car up?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
I would speculate that it would be better to warm it up for 10-15 minutes in the driveway before leaving. Its better on the internal parts lubrication wise if everything is warmed to operating temp before a load is put on the engine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
FALSE;

warming up the car for 15 minutes actually leads to carbon deposits on the plugs and the injectors.
Experts agree that the best thing to do is start your car. let it warm up for 45-60 seconds, then drive moderately until the engine comes up to normal operating temperatures.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry sky, but I would have to agree with 32intrepid on this one. I was always told to wait

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
It also depends on where you live. In Canada where you live it is better to let it warm up for 10 -15 Min. but where i live in South Carolina it dosent have to warm up for that long.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think both of you could be right... A combination of the 2 methods works best.. warm it up 10 minutes then drive it slow till transmission and other moving parts warm up..The worst method is to warm up engine for a while and then drive it like it is fully at operating temp, disregarding the other moving parts that rely on lubrication and are still cold..But you will have to admit that her way sure does make it warmer for the driver..And you know that the wife is always right!!lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
Lol lextrep. +rep for you on that one

Reactions: lextrep

·
Registered
982 Posts
boltuprite said:
FALSE;

warming up the car for 15 minutes actually leads to carbon deposits on the plugs and the injectors.
Experts agree that the best thing to do is start your car. let it warm up for 45-60 seconds, then drive moderately until the engine comes up to normal operating temperatures.
This was true in the days when the choke caused an overly rich fuel mix while it was idling in the driveway.. but with new controls now isnt so much a problem... Basically either way should not cause any damage, with multi viscosity engine oils only extreme cold temps should require much of a warm up period to get oil flowing... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
boltuprite said:
FALSE;

Ding ding ding! On Speed Channel a year or two ago, on this show called Motorweek, they did a whole thing about this. Maybe a minute or two tops, just until the idle steadies out, and drive moderately until normal driving temperature is reached.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Question: How long should I warm my car up before driving?

Answer: In almost all circumstances you should NOT warm up your car before driving. This is the most destructive time for the engine and its related parts The quicker it warms up the better. Your car will warm up much faster driving than just sitting there idling and you will save fuel.

Q: Is it important to idle my vehicle for a few minutes to warm up the engine in winter?
A: No. Tests show that you need no more than 30 seconds of idling to circulate the engine oil before you drive away on cold days. Anything longer just wastes money and produces needless greenhouse gas emissions. Remember, more than the engine needs to be warmed - so do the tires, transmission, wheel bearings and other moving parts. As well, the catalytic converter doesn't function at its peak until it reaches between 400°C and 800°C. The best way to warm the engine and all other components is to drive your vehicle. Also, using a block heater will allow the engine to start more easily and reach its peak operating temperature faster. In temperatures of -20 degrees Celsius, block heaters can improve overall fuel economy by as much as 10 percent or more.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
In the earlier days of driving when you had the choke as stated earlier in this thread and when oil wasn't as good as now a days you had to let car warm up to get all the fluids going good. That is know longer needed. The most you need to run the car is about 2 mins. 5 mins if its real cold out and you want to get into a warm car with the heat running.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
boltuprite said:
FALSE;

LOUD98ES said:
Ding ding ding! On Speed Channel a year or two ago, on this show called Motorweek, they did a whole thing about this. Maybe a minute or two tops, just until the idle steadies out, and drive moderately until normal driving temperature is reached.

This is exactly what you have to do.......That's why remote starters are useless.......Dress right, get a snow brush + ice scrapper and drive off a minute or 2 after you started the car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
timdawg said:
In the earlier days of driving when you had the choke as stated earlier in this thread and when oil wasn't as good as now a days you had to let car warm up to get all the fluids going good. That is know longer needed. The most you need to run the car is about 2 mins. 5 mins if its real cold out and you want to get into a warm car with the heat running.
YES.. 10-15 minutes in "wife time" equals 2-5 minutes in" husband time".. So they are both right!! :bgtup: Gotta go,told the wife i would help her in a minute about an hour ago so now it is time!! :grinyes:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Years ago they used to tell people to let the car warm up. I think part of that had to do with the choke on the carb. But in the days of fuel injection, they've changed things. Everything I've read over the last few years all say warm up for no more than a couple minutes and drive. the car will warm up faster if its driven, and that is a proven fact. Everybody knows that stop-n-go driving is worse on a car than highway, and that's because stop-n-go has lots of wasteful idling involved, the same idling when letting the car warm up for extended periods.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My neighbour used to come out at 7:30 AM start her car, go back inside, then come out at 8:30 and go. Come the spring she was complaining her car was stalling out and was a ***** to start so she asked me if I would take a look. When I pulled he plugs they were all fouled, and the carburator had a film of almost soot like deposits in it. Did a flush with carb out, and replaced the plugs and PVC valve. You should have seen all the smoke from doing the carb out. Looked like the German mustard gas in WW1.

I dunno, but everything I have read says idling a car for more than 1 minute is not good.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Wait until the engine is running smoothly, then drive away without being agressive.
Just FYI, that's around a minute of warming up.

Cheers

BJ

1 - 20 of 44 Posts