DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well theres this stuff that a friend of mind bough calle rubbing compound for his headlights because there yellowish and dull. They told him it would help. it does help to shine em up but to tell you the truth it dont really bring out that new look . well he read it and it said it also works for stratches so he tried it in the front of the hood and the stcratch dissapeared but that side of the hood stayed all dull and with out shine compared to the rest of the hood. can anyone help me so i can help him... its so noticable and ugly lol.... so yea.. thanks guys! anything im missing just ask.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
he rubbed the clear coat of your top coat, try buffing the section out with a buffer, and then wax it and see how it comes out, if it still looks alittle dull, apply some Glaze(meguires makes a nicce glaze in a bottle, that stuff works great on the treps O.E.M. paint, );) hope this helps, next time try any other stuff in an area thats small, and you cant really see anything if it messes up your paint, etc.., just a rule of thumb, ;)

Luis

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohhhh i see.. i'll tell ya if it works thanks again... umm just before i go on and tell him that.... he bought some other stuff called Turtlewax POishing compound. it supposely claims to restore showroom shine. think it'll work?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
BAttousaix27 said:
ohhhh i see.. i'll tell ya if it works thanks again... umm just before i go on and tell him that.... he bought some other stuff called Turtlewax POishing compound. it supposely claims to restore showroom shine. think it'll work?
that will only remove light swirl marks, and oxidation, and paint from another car(like a bumper to bumper ding with another vehicle), but like I said before test on a small inconspicious are first,and see how it works, but the wa should be the model for that, the polishing compound will probably bring that dull area to the next step lower than it already is, possibly going thru the next coat of clear, buff her first!, ;):biggthump

·
Registered
148 Posts
Turtle Wax compound??? Don't waste your time with that cheap stuff. Listen, there's lots more sophisticated stuff out there but if you want OTC stuff and you're gonna work it by hand, Mequiars has a couple products you can find at almost any parts store and maybe even Wally World. For the scratches, try ScratchX and for oxidation try ColorX. Use them with microfiber towels. Then wax with something decent, like Mequiars NXT which should help hide a few of the micro-scratches that remain.

Oh yeah, on my old beater it made a world of difference when I went over it with detailing clay. Any brand is fine, it comes packaged with quick detailing spray to use as a lube. Clay Magic at Autozone is probably the best deal for $11, but pick up whatever brand you can find. You only need to use 1/3 bar at a time and whatever you do, do not drop it on the ground. It will pick up dirt and abrasives and you have to just throw it away. It will remove oxidation and contaminants bonded to the paint. It's also a good thing to use to do a final cleanup on bird bombs to get rid of stuff they leave behind that can etch the paint.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hailstorm said:
Here's a little more info for you http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

Your hood is not messed up beyond repair. It will take a little work to fix thats all. Go with what these guys are saying and you'll shine her right up.
Hey thanks for that site. This is gonna help in the future by alot... and nicely detailed... well today around 2 pm im going out in my poor trep to see what i can figgure out and try to get what guys have told me. I'll keep you up to date after I come back and try to give it medical help lol. thanks guys I appreciate it. :brutal_08 :farmer:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Your guy used rubbing compound, you said. That's way too abrasive for anything other than a badly oxidized finish, and even then it must be used gently. It's for buffing rough paint more than anything else, like knocking down overspray. Never, ever, use anything that abrasive on a clearcoated car. Many steps down in abrasiveness is white polishing compound, and it might be used carefully to remove scratches, but you're better off using one of the products the other guys mentioned. I say that even though I'm no great fan of Meguiare's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.