DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better? KYB Gas GR2 or Monroe Sensa-Trac strut? Also what would you say is the hardest thing about changing front struts on 1st gen. Intrepid?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
trepid1 said:
Which is better? KYB Gas GR2 or Monroe Sensa-Trac strut? Also what would you say is the hardest thing about changing front struts on 1st gen. Intrepid?
I would go with the KYB's before the Monroes. Both will perform very similar to your oem struts though (when they were in their prime :D)

I don't know about 1st gens for sure, but the front struts are 10X easier than the rears on the 2nd gens! Everything's very accessible up front.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't know about the hardest part of changing front struts but I do know what is the most dangerous part. The coil spring. Take the old strut to a garage with a commercial grade spring compressor. Have them swap the spring onto the new strut.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a thought. This weekend I'am goin to see how hard my bolts are to get off, put down some PB blaster to help. IF it seems not to difficult I will get ready for the project, front ones first.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
be ready to get dirty on the rears... in my case, I came accross some black tar like **** that was right inside the trunk on top of the strut mount.

And i wouldnt necessarily take it to a shop to remove the springs. I know for $40 autozone will rent spring compressors to you and give you your money back when you return them. I've swapped out 4 sets of springs with mine (yet to be returned over like 2 years) with no problems.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just mainly hope i can do it with my hand tools and breaker bar. I hate it when i can't get bolts off then have to go to garage for easy work. I live in an apt. complex, so can't have air compressor and such. I do my work on weekends when building manager is not there. I think over whether to do the springs myself if feel comfortable doing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts