DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post for me a picture of the back of 96 Intrepid AC compressor.
Something spews out the back of mine from a hole in back that is treaded as if a screw goes there. Any ideas or pictures world be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Ok, look at the pic below, is the hole that your talking about right next to where the arrow is pointing that says " compressor manifold "(the right side of the arrow), if so it's a high pressure relief valve. You may just need a new one.

The high pressure relief valve is located on the A/C compressor manifold.

Take the vehicle to a certified shop to have the system discharged properly.

Rotate the high pressure relief valve counterclockwise and separate the valve from the vehicle. Discard the old O-ring.

To install:

Lubricate the new O-ring with engine oil, then install it on the valve. Rotate the high pressure relief valve clockwise and attach the valve to the vehicle. Tighten the 5/8 inch hex head to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).

Properly charge the A/C system.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hole is more like where the 1st R is in compRessor but on the back side meaning the opposite side of the clucth. There is no valve there to adjust, is this the right area

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well, thats weird, I don't have anything on the back of mine. It's just a solid piece, no holes or anything.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looking at my compressor again this morning i see that the hole is that valve to right of your arrow. Can this valve be purchased and can I, the average tinkler replace it?

Never mind I see you say remove the valve take out the o ring and replace.
Is there a part # for the o ring or are they all the same?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If you take the old O ring to a parts store they will be able to get you a new one for a buck or less. Just remember to have the system discharged BEFORE you take that valve out.

that is if its a standard o-ring. if not it might be a dealer only item and cost a couple arms and a few legs. I dont have A/C on my car so I cant help much more than that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I get the system discharged do i need to replace any other parts to complete the job?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts