DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this thread to find out what programs you guys are using to keep your computer safe and functioning properly.
I've have been using 3 programs in particular, which are all free and most easy to use. Here they are:

AVG Free Edition
ZoneAlarm Free (just the firewall)
Ad-Aware SE personal

I find the AVG and ZoneAlarm to work well together and help to keep my computer free of bullshit. And, i really like Ad-Aware SE Personal because it doesn't run in the background and suck up computer RAM. Instead, I run Ad-Aware when I want to and it really does a good job.
So, what are you guys using with respect to a virus/firewall and spyware removal tools? What have you found to be the most effective programs to keep your computer safe? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
322 Posts
norton corporate a/v
sygate firewall
black ice
look n stop

dont run ad aware progs, i did for awhile but never get spyware and the such except for the occasional cookies etc which i always have empty out on a daily basis anyways.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Norton SystemWorks 2005......Norton Internet Security 2005......Spyware Blaster (free)......AdAware (free)......and frequent cleaning with ToniArt's Easy Cleaner (free).

I've used Zone Alarm's freeware in the past but it was too confusing for my wife and kids. I've used Microsoft's Antispyware Beta before but it became buggy and overlapped Spyware Blaster anyways.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Do NOT depend on any kind of software firewall that runs on the same box it is supposed to protect. DO GET YOURSLF an external firewall/router box. If you shop around, you can easily find a used Linksys or Netgear or Dlink box for well under $50-.

The upside for that $50 is that the external box is usually at least a 4 port ethernet switch that does DHCP and DNS passthrough. So for that $50 you've got instant home networking. Downside is well, you've just spent *another* $50 to protect essentially unprotectable Microsoft product........

I have an openly admitted prejudice against any and ALL Symantec products. They impose just a little too much of themselves on a system and take up way to much in terms of system resources and add way to much potential instability to make them worth any bother at all.

The "stories are legend" about workstation problems that go away once Symantec products are deinstalled. YMMV of course.

My preferred anti-virus vendors, based on many years of corporate deployment and support are Trend (PC-cillin) and McAfee. Lots of broadband service providers offer 'free' McAfee subscriptions to their customers. Money saved right there.

One BIG HOLE is Internet Explorer. Use it as little as possible. I presently don't fire it up more than 3-4 times a month. Use Opera (preferred) or Firefox. Firefox has all the press/news these days but Opera has a 6 year head start on maturity, stability, and security over Firefox. Starting with version 8.5, Opera is now free, no more ad-ware banners.

The other big hole is Outlook in ALL of its incarnations. The above advice for MSIE goes for Outlook. Both Firefox and Opera have integrated email (and newsreaders, RSS clients, etc, etc) that work fine without the well-known and on-going dangers of using MSIE and Outlook.

Install a known-good Java machine. If you insall Sun Java, it will take priority over the crippled MS-Java machine that is included with the OS these days. IBM has a little-known but very-very good Java machine. The IBM JVM is hard to find, it takes some determination on ibm.com to actually find and d/l the thing.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
kaspersky and adaware, although i pretty much feel that adaware does little, i also use firefox and have been for a while, back before it was cool to not like IE, i too am a firm believer that norto and anything related is the devil, id rather have nothing than norton :google:

·
Registered
795 Posts
A few usefull programs I've found:

Avast Antivirus (Free) - Great program, daily updates (recomended by Popular Science)

Eraser (Free) - REALLY Erase sensitive data (it ain't coming back!)

Bazooka Adware Scanner (Free) - Small fast program that searches specificly for very nasty adware that others frequently miss.

Agent Ransack (Free) - File search utility, way better than windows search.

Intel Aplication Accelerator (Free) - For those with an intel MoBo. Read throughly and use only if your chipset is compatable.

I also use the already mentioned AdAware,CCleaner, and Zone Alarm.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boy, where do I begin?

Norton System Works 2005 Premier
Norton Internet Security 2005 (A/V & Firewall, among other things)
Adaware SE Professional
Spy-bot Search and Destroy
Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta 1)
Popup Killer
Spython (Part of System Mechanic Professional)
Trojan Remover
Linksys Cable/DSL Router (acts as hardware firewall)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use IE, I should switch eh?

·
Registered
711 Posts
heh, I use FIREFOX (a must) and I don't download retarted stuff and I don't use Outlook.. I update my computers every time the patches come out, and I use SMOOTHWALL (www.smoothwall.org) for a firewall... can't find someone yet to break in past smoothwall, and i have 21 computers :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]One BIG HOLE is Internet Explorer. Use it as little as possible. I presently don't fire it up more than 3-4 times a month. Use Opera (preferred) or Firefox. Firefox has all the press/news these days but Opera has a 6 year head start on maturity, stability, and security over Firefox. Starting with version 8.5, Opera is now free, no more ad-ware banners.[/QUOTE]
As good as Opera is/was, I recently switched over to Firefox. A lot of places I visit (for school related work and what-not) do no support Opera, so either I use another program, or I miss critical information/notes/assignments for my classes. I still don't use IE though.

IE and Firefox both have "pop-up blockers" but I find that they are horrible and only work a fraction of the time. Opera has had pop-up blockers for YEARS and it works FAR better than IE or Firefox. Opera's integrated mail client (M2 I believe it's called), has its advantages and drawbacks. It doesn't let you create folders to sort e-mail, and it'll lose all your e-mails every so often (which is a pain to recover). Opera also loses all the user settings every so often, (once every 6 months or so), but if you know computers, this shouldn't be hard to fix (just time consuming).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This may sound weird, but I think my Opera problems and my Win2KPro registry problems are both related to the fact that I have a fairly early release of SATA HD's.

I switched from Opera about 1 month ago

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
This may sound weird, but I think my Opera problems and my Win2KPro registry problems are both related to the fact that I have a fairly early release of SATA HD's.

I switched from Opera about 1 month ago
I'm not 100% sure. Plus, this has happened to others with Opera as well!

·
Registered
331 Posts
FeMaster said:
Boy, where do I begin?

Adaware SE Professional
Popup Killer
Trojan Remover
Oops, forgot Hi-Jack This... :)

J

·
0 Posts
What I use to keep my box secure from internet?

(What? Internet is coming to get me too now? What, I owe it money? It's gonna send uncle Joey and Vinny over to come break my legs?)

Now, as rediculous as that question may sound., answer is simple:

Linux guys..

Don't hafta worry about all this "virus" "Spam" "paranoid ad aware, self cleaning crashing" Microsoft protection products.

Linux; is free and very very competitive with XP. (you save = +$100)

Linux; there is a gazillion forums out there to get help if you get stuck with something. (you save = +$100)

Linux; People are always experimenting with new software code for your favorite hardware. Whether you're trying to run a Navigation System GPS on your laptop, or.. maybe you'd like to have your computer warm your coffee in the morning.. I'm sure there is a piece of FREE software someone wrote for it.

Linux; Has MS Office XP 2004 with spreadsheets and word but before you Linux fans out there start Powerpointing fingers at me, it's not call MS Office; It's called OpenOffice. :) It can read and write .doc, .xls and all other "Microsoft files." (you save = $599)

Linux; Constantly new things coming out. Millions of software titles available for it. Any software that you may need for something is probably out there on your favorite distro of Linux. ( $ priceless $ )

Over the past few years I've used Linux, I haven't had 1 single problem with it. It's as easy as XP (point and click) or, it can be 1000% more powerful as command prompter, but 1000X more powerfull than DOS.. Inside GUI, you can run a "terminal box" which is essentially the same as "command prompt" in windows. Difference is, you can actually see, write, stop, execute, edit the code while it's running. Nothing hiden behind the scenes, unlike Microsoft coding.. So, no more:
"WINDOWS HAS PERFORMED AN EXCEPTIONAL ERROR THIS TIME: If You'd like to see what this error contains, click here:
///4 da 47th time:///
///1MOREB4UHAVEaSTRKandTOSS-CPU-OUttaWINDOWS///
///$100LESS4UifUDIALtechLINE///
///ILLEGAL CALL ON CPU, BUY1NEW1.2MORR0. H4H4H4H4!-MSFT"///

Would you like to send this report (in exchange for your hardwaracial profiling) to Micro$oft? We are constantly making our products better by your (free) input. Of course you are test bunnies, no code is ever complete and/or bug free. That's why you pay exorbitant amounts of money, so we can make it better for you. What do you think this is? OpenSource Linux?

Edit:
Oh, and as for this: >>

FeMaster said:
Boy, where do I begin?

Adaware SE Professional
Popup Killer
Trojan Remover
No offense man, but your CPU and HD is executing more code here on system startup than it does during those long long nights of Counter Strike..

J

·
0 Posts
-- Sorry for a pissy post.
I recently had my XP box crash (..again.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts