DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody , I was thinking to buy and install an electric supercharger on my TREP V6-3.2L 24V but I wanted to know If somebody already did it and If it's worth it or not. I read a couple of articles concerning this but I didn't find any "pertinent" answer. Can you guys give me your opinions ?

Thanks for your help.

By the way , there some links :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELEC...ewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ8018146073QQrdZ1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elec...ewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ8018799460QQrdZ1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...33741QQitemZ8018919269QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...33741QQitemZ8018978228QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Yep....Its a quality purchase. I am currently running one on my 2.7. I currently run the fastest 2.7 with it. I'm even thinking of installing a roll cage. :)

http://www.forumspile.com/****-Meter.gif

:D

--Gorm

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
The short answer: As far as any of us know those things are junk. Spend your money on a true cold air intake instead.

http://www.forumspile.com/****-Meter.gif
Gorm, you're too much sometimes ... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers guys! roll cage :icon_surp ... mmm that would be interesting! :fun_06: Wich one thit you buy , Gorm ? And wich one of the list above you think is the best choice ? D76G12 , I already have a cold air intake on my car. I just wanted to see If I can boost it. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've got you all beat. I went with the solar powered supercharger. Just add solar panels to your sunroof. The brighter and sunnier it is, the faster my car goes. But if you live in the Yukon, this would be pretty useless in the winter, seeing as how it is dark most of the time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
At least with the solar panels you are freeing up the cars electrical system, so that you are not leaching power to make power...............now my head hurts, thinking that this was a good idea!!!

D

·
0 Posts
I can't believe how often this pops up.

They're not worth the weight they add to the car. They are schisters, cheats, and liers! These people are trying to suck you out of your money. In this case (and most times on ebay) buyer beware is defineately the watch word.

The term cheap horsepower is an oxymoron.

You can get no more than 5-10 hp "cheaply" people, and not by sticking a bilge blower in the intake!

cheers
BJ

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Hell, I've got my wife's hair products powering my car. Took the hair dryer and converted it into a supercharger, using the curling iron for a block heater, and just spray the alcohol-laced hair spray in as a substitute for NOS!! All good to go here!
0-60 times, well, um, in about the same time it takes her to do her hair!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Hell, I've got my wife's hair products powering my car. Took the hair dryer and converted it into a supercharger, using the curling iron for a block heater, and just spray the alcohol-laced hair spray in as a substitute for NOS!! All good to go here!
0-60 times, well, um, in about the same time it takes her to do her hair!
Lol... do you vinegar and water instead of seafoam ??!

Sorry... had to !!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
CDN R/T said:
Lol... do you vinegar and water instead of seafoam ??!

Sorry... had to !!
Ohh, yeah!! Cleans things out real good. Keeps the cat-verters smelling fresh and clean!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
A car engine douche in a bottle. Sweet, I'm off to the patent office to see if this idea has been taken yet.

And what about those people who call their car 'he' instead of 'her'. Is there such a thing as a male douche product?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Morphy said:
A car engine douche in a bottle. Sweet, I'm off to the patent office to see if this idea has been taken yet.

And what about those people who call their car 'he' instead of 'her'. Is there such a thing as a male douche product?
ALRIGHTYTHEN.
I do believe were are officially off topic.

cheers

BJ

:scrambles

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed about this

I know everyone is basically negative on the electric superchargers, but I think fundamentally the idea is no worse then a belt driven super charger. I mean in a belt driven super charger the crank pulley on the car robs power from the engine to make boost. In an electric super the battery could actually soak all of the load for breif burst, but after that then the alternator will pickup some of the load.

I don't think you should look at an electric super the same as a belt driven. Look at a electric more like nitrous where you only use it when you need it. If I did an electric super I would get a throttle switch so it only engaged at full throttle.

Now the garbage on ebay is just that garbage. Anyone who has ever tried to make an electric motor do anything has faced the same problems. The biggest biproduct of electric engines is heat, so you will make heat at the alternator robbing the systems efficiency, then you will make heat at the super robbing the efficiency. So because of the heat you can't make the body of the thing from plastic because it will heat warp and loose it's design.

However if you have ever worked with industrial electric motors like the motors used to run air compressors, you know that you can make a very powerful electric motor that will disipate heat and continue to work for many years.

So fundamentally there is nothing I see wrong with the electric super charger, however I would never consider it a always on boost, but only to be used when needed.

So it is theoretically possible now we just have to have someone make a good setup. I am not speaking from experience, but I have been checking out the website for the E-RAW rigs for a few years and I am impressed. needless to say I don't have one, but it looks like they are on the right path.

Another problem with a snap on turbo or super is that the intake manifold would need to be beefed up to accomidate the new pressue, and I don't care what anyone says today's fuel injected vehicles are not made to just have boost added, so you could see a myriad of problems from sensor readings being messed up looking. For instance your PVC system, if you take a system that is used to SUCKING air and now you are BLOWING air down it's throat you could have some issues. I don't know I haven't tried it, but this is the type of stuff I wonder about.

For me I will wait until someone implements a better electric super before I put my money on the line, but I am just saying it is theoretically possible. To say it will never work is like saying man will never go to the moon. It can and probably will happen it is just a matter of time. You can't tell me that honda can make an all electric car, but can't use that same technology to blow air down a hole.

People have bragged about ram air for years. If you can't make a machine that at least reproduces the ram air scenario then you have short sight, because it can happen.

I will agree with some of the others saying that an axial fan will probably never realistically make the amount of boost that a grass roots blower will. But what is to say you couldn't make a conventional blower that used a electric motor to spin rather than a belt? To say that an axial fan cannot make any boost is just wrong though. Look one the E-RAM website where they blowup the garbage bag. The reason the garbage bag explodes is because there pressure inside the bag is greater then the atmosphere as well as the strength of the bag. Now how many PSI does it take to pop a bag, I don't know, but none the less the machine creates PSI and in the end isn't that all we are looking for?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Holy Crap! Where do I start?
Better cop out and use the short answer or I'll be typing all day! :work:
In theory yes, in practice no.

Cheers :beerchug:

BJ :anon:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts