DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got the car back from the shop today. They said the fans were intermittently stopping. They replace them with a new fan assembly.

Said there was a constriction in the condenser. Replaced the condenser and drier.

Appears to be running OK.

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
That must have cost a bit, but hopefully they nailed it all down. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I went drove it 12 miles to my appointment. The usual lots of lights and traffic. On the way there, for about 2 minutes, the AC quit. Then it came back on and everything was OK. On the way back, about 4 miles from my house, the AC cut off again. I a couple of miles, with no AC, the water temperature rapidly climbed from it usual 200 degrees to 220 degrees and consistently stayed there for the rest of my trip home.

When I got home, the compressor was not running. The fan was on, but I only think it was the low speed fan. It wasn't that noisy for the high speed fan to be on.

This is basically the same problem that occurred in the summer, when I changed the hoses. Up until now, since my last post, the AC worked very well and the water temperature stayed about 200 degrees.

It's 87 degrees outside.

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
I'd suggest taking it back to the shop. You paid them to fix it, and it still has problems. It may be multiple problems related to the engine cooling and a.c. systems. Or there may just be radiator fan problems.

I assume when you say the a.c. stops working, the cabin fan is still blowing air - it's just not cooling.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'd suggest taking it back to the shop. You paid them to fix it, and it still has problems. It may be multiple problems related to the engine cooling and a.c. systems. Or there may just be radiator fan problems.

I assume when you say the a.c. stops working, the cabin fan is still blowing air - it's just not cooling.
I'm pretty sure the compressor stopped running and everything else is working. The blower tried to compensate.

It seems, whatever is controlling these systems isn't working properly or it is and something else isn't working. Hopefully, the shop knows enough to fix it. Maybe it's too complicated for them? Years ago, there was a problem that they were unable to find the cause. The Chrysler dealer fixed it, but it was costly. I just cringe at the thought of how much money this is costing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It seems, whatever is controlling these systems isn't working properly or it is and something else isn't working.
My family owned several Intrepids over the years. The biggest fail point with the AC system was the evaporator. I recall the Chrysler dealer asking my Dad $3500 to replace just the evaporator on his '02 SE - and that was at employee cost. He told them to shove it and bought a new '08 Charger 3.5 when Chrysler was giving them away.

The previous owner of my 94 Concorde spent over $5000 at Brampton Chrysler replacing every part related to the AC. I had working AC for nearly a decade - then the condenser developed a leak and that was that. Since my car has nearly 300 000 kilometers on the powertrain and the body is showing its age (not to mention factory AC parts are no longer available), I've come to the conclusion to let certain luxuries slide and just enjoy the car for what it is. Not worth going down an unnecessary rabbit hole unless you have good warranty coverage on parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When I was a kid growing up in upstate NY during the 60's and 70's my family didn't have a car with AC until I was 17. Even then, my step-father didn't use it that often, because it wasted too much gas. My first two cars from the 60's didn't have AC. I don't remember ever being bothered by not having it. Now I've lived in the Tampa, FL for the past 24 years. I would describe the summers here as oppressively hot and humid. As I remember, the summers in upstate NY were comfortable. I kind of miss them. Summers here, the feels like temperature averages about 110, even though the ambient air temperature is in the low to mid 90's. Every day is in the 90's, unless we get storms and it's cloudy.

The evaporator (new Chrysler), compressor and just recently, the condenser were replaced along with the fan assembly. The car is like a gambling addiction. I keep thinking, one more repair and it will be good to go. It never seems to work that way.

Like peva mentioned, I paid the shop a good deal of money to fix the problem and it's not fixed. I'll just bring it back.

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
If there's a refrigerant leak in the system, the PCM will not allow the compressor clutch to be energized once the pressure drops below a certain level. It determines low refrigerant by the a.c. pressure transducer. Just mentioning that as possibly the problem. If so, the shop should determine where the leak is, fix it, pull it down and re-charge it.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
The AC had been working well. Very cold air coming out and then the compressor suddenly stopped. Before they replaced the condenser, the AC was kind of anemic. If the refrigerant was low, wouldn't the air blowing out be not that cold?

It's weird that a mile after the compressor shut down, the water temperature, which had stayed around 200 since they replaced the fan assembly, rapidly rose to 220. It remained 220, until I made it home. It didn't change, whether I was moving or at a light. It just stayed there, like it was instructed to do that. I'm pretty sure the high speed fan was not running when I got home.

Either one would stop working if their relay failed. But I think the odds of the two failing in a short period of time is low. I had replaced the high speed relay about 5 years ago.

Replaced the AC clutch relay and no change. The fuse is OK as well.
I let the engine idle until the water temperature got to 209 and at that time the low speed fan came on and cooled it back to 200. I didn't try anything else.

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
Too many variables to troubleshoot remotely. Better to let them fix it if they're competent and honest.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
The shop called and said the temperature sensor on the evaporator has broken off. They quoted me $1,300 to replace it and the evaporator. I just said I'd think about it. The evaporator was replaced about 10 years ago and is still good as far as I know.

Does the system check to see if this sensor is working, before it will turn the compressor on? He said something about the plastic being broken and it's dropped down. I don't know if it's stopped sending a signal or is just not where it's supposed to be. I would think if it's not in place, the compressor would run, at least until the evaporator froze up. Looking at the service manual, I should be able to put the ATC in diagnostic mode.

Can the sensor be replaced without taking the dash apart?

The other thing that makes me wonder, why the engine temperature shot up from 200 to 220 degrees shortly after the compressor stopped.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I opted to not have anything done at this time, since the cost is was too high, considering all the money I just payed for it.

The shop is about two miles from my house. The owner brought the car out front and left it idling while we talked about stuff for about 10 minutes. By that the time I left, the engine temperature was 200. By the time I got home, it had climbed to 233 and was still on it's way up. While it idled in my driveway, the engine temperature was slowly dropping, but only the low speed fan was running.

When the compressor stopped last week, the engine temperature rapidly climbed to 220. Prior to that and after they replaced the fan assembly it stayed consistently around 200.

I will be dropping it off Wednesday for them to look at it again. Tomorrow morning when it's cooler outside, I'll run the ATC diagnostic mode and check for codes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Never heard of the temp sensor breaking off the evaporator (and from reading your post, they won't warranty anything since they're likely considering this a "new" issue). Sort of makes me suspicious if the shop is deliberately breaking other parts in order to raise costs.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Never heard of the temp sensor breaking off the evaporator (and from reading your post, they won't warranty anything since they're likely considering this a "new" issue). Sort of makes me suspicious if the shop is deliberately breaking other parts in order to raise costs.
He said he looked through the opening and saw it had broken off. A 26 year old brittle plastic part. It was laying there. I guess the mount broke. I don't know what prompted him to check that. The evaporator was replaced about 10 years ago with a Chrysler brand one at the same place.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts