DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

well, my driver's side headlight has condensation/water in it

i believe its because the dealer washed it with a pressure washer and theres a little hole somewhere in the light where it got in

its been there since i first looked at the car, but it bugs the hell out of me...

where are the screws to take the headlight off, and how would i go about getting the condensation out of there??

thanks!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:smiley_aa

nobody knows what to do???

i wanna get this squared away before i order my spoiler and start looking for an EVIC...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
982 Posts
There are 2 bolts with 7mm heads. one is the bolt closest to the fender and the headlight I think they are the only 7mm bolts on front crossmember. After you get the housing loose disconnect wires and remove the housing --BE careful the plastic breaks pretty easy and new ones aren't cheap! Take all of the bulbs out and use ablow dryer to dry out the water. I would also find the leak while you have it out and try to seal it with clear silicone. If the leak is real small you could duct tape all but one of the holes the lamps go in and put shop vac hose in other lamp hole and hold a small piece of paper near housing to find leak.
Forgot to add these bolts are about 5 inches long with threads only at top Kinda like screw in pins to hold the housing

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had this same problem. (A clearing of the amber lense that went awfully wrong!) the only way that i solved it was to buy another one. It will save you alot of headaches. Please just buy another one.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Listen: Remove the headlight, and put it in the oven (yes the oven in your kitchen) on the LOWEST temperature setting for about 15-20 minutes. MAKE SURE THAT it is on BROIL... NOT BAKE! it will litterally evaporate all of the condensation in there. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a tube of "headlight crack sealer".... seal the ENTIRE seal around the light. Allow to dry for a couple hours. No more leaks after that. I had to do this to mine last month. No leaks, condensation, etc, etc ever since.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a problem similiar to his, but it does not look like water like his... mine is more like a fog.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats why i love this place!!! :love:

thanks a lot dudes, i got the headlight out, used the blow dryer (was gonna put it in the oven, but my mom was totally opposed to it) and evaporated the water right outta there

now i just gotta get some silicone or headlight crack sealer and i'll be all set!!

i also need 4 new headlight screws (the long ones that hold them in) because one of them the head rusted and then somebody used the wrong size bit or something and rounded it all to hell, another has its head rusted too (although it comes out) and one of the remaining two is bent in the weirdest place (still works fine)

so tomorrow i gotta talk to my mechanic and see if he can get me some, if not, then off to the dealer

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
holy jesus your younger than me..crazy ****

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol

whats so weird about that?
im sixteen and a half, as of today, woo!

lol, yeah, i'm a young gun, but thats ok, i dont care

just means i have more time to work on my trep before i gotta worry about college!!!

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
so tomorrow i gotta talk to my mechanic and see if he can get me some, if not, then off to the dealer
They will rape you with the prices.
Private message either Derek (loud98es) or Ross (Torontofirecaptain). They both go on frequent trips to their local junk yards and get us good parts at MUCH CHEAPER prices.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thanks for the tip
yeah, i went to my mechanic this morning and he told me to go to the dealer, but i figure that they'll rape me with the prices.

but i'll pm either derek or ross sometime soon

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
If I remember right the 2G headlights have a vent hole in the back side and it's there on purpose - don't seal it up. This time was probably just a fluke. I occasionally have a little fog or mist inside mine in the morning but it's gone by the time I drive 2 miles to the gas station. You've got it dried out now, don't worry about it ...

Ahh, here it is!
Section 8L-24 of the 2002 FSM ...

INTREPID
NOTE: Headlamp lens fogging is a normal condition and does not require service unless excessive or continual. Moisture will vent from tubes or vents located on the back of the lamp.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
ha...well that's prolly for general ambient moisture. His was probably sprayed there from the dealer pressure washing it so this was a good idea. Dread! you work at pizza hut too bro :) coool lol...i deliver in my trep :(:( Fun cuz i get to drive my baby around but not so fun because it smells like pizza all the damn time...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, maybe it is the healight vent, but this condensation didnt go away, it had been there for more than a week when i got it out

and i didnt actually seal it yet, i would have, but i figured if the problem happens again, i'll take the light out and then seal it

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
What you had was a little more than "normal" and I'm sure it needed some extra attention.
But I doubt if it'll ever come back that bad again - unless you start getting wild with the sprayer ... :)

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
but i figured if the problem happens again, i'll take the light out and then seal it
Your best bet before any of your bulbs start to prematurely blow is to simply remove (I'd do both lights, but that's just me) both headlights with a 7mm socket, and seal them all the way around. When my passengers headlight had a "leak" somewhere, I went through 3 low beam bulbs. Removed both assemblies, selaed them up real good, I have had zero condensation problems since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts