DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my other post on the stuff on ebay string. Anyways, the head mechanic at the local speed shop said that the cone air filters, like the k&n's are just for looks! He said that since they sit inside the engine, and have no outside cool air intake, you actually loose HP. You are taking in hot air warmed from the engine. He said to put the stock air box back on and buy a K&N drop in.

Does anyone actually own a K&N drop in, in their stock air box? I didn't notice much improvement at all with the steel air filters that are advertised from tradesonic on ebay. It just makes the engine louder and cooler sounding :) I went to discount auto and bought a new drop in air filter (not k&n) and put my stock box back on. I noticed the engine was quieter, but no difference in the performance. I guess I'll have to find a dyno to truly test it out. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
any gain from switching air filters is likely to show up as at most 1-2 hp on a dyno. given that dyno runs are inconsistent to begin with i wouldn't count on seeing a noticeable change one way or the other. also, i think the stock airbox is the way to go. it was designed to draw as much cool air as possible. if you want cold air then move the PCM and evap can like corey did and make a cold air intake.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you go into more detail about Corey's cold air intake?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
true, using a cone filter might kill your horsepower because its sucking hot air. I have the factory box with k&n drop in and also an intake system(I switch them out every once in awhile, I'm trying to find out which one is faster) I'm going to get a meter here soon and then I can really accuratly tell what works better. A cone intake system will work better than factory if it is a cold air or ram air setup. Ram air would be phat.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i have thought about ram air. i just don't want to cut into my hood. maybe when it's a project car.

here's the link to corey's cold air intake.

click here

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you get all of those parts in corey's cold air intake?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i have no idea. you can probably get the brackets at lowe's or home depot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, I figured you could get the brackets at Home Depot, but I am clueless as where to get the other parts and what they even are. I'm a little new to all this custom stuff, I'm only Sixteen ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i haven't even begun to attempt such a mod...ask corey. his screenname is 94intrepidES.

·
Registered
432 Posts
All you guys are talking about an aftermarket intake system right? Ok well, I just purchased a 3' wide intake tube that was custom made from a person that worked at K & N. It also comes with the filter itself. Now the person selling this to me tested out his Intrepid ( DYNO ) and the results were from 8 hp to 15 hp. That is a lot! :eek:
I don't have pictures yet. The only problem for me are the brackets. LOWES or HOMEDEPOT is my next stop. He told me that it is very, very simple to make one just to hold the end part of the intake. We'll see? :D

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
where does it scoop cold air from?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys.

After 1 week of running the stock box with a brand new drop in filter, I put my cone filter back in. I noticed the car accelerates better and sounds better with the cone. If I am loosing HP, I don't notice it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm VERY interested in where you got the metal piping and what shop you got your exhaust job done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:eek: if u look on K&N web page go to search by filter size and shape and measue the throtaels on your car to match up 2 of the "B" style filters and don't use any
of the "air Laging intake tubes or cold air
stuff i have noted'ed a nice enprovment

·
Registered
51 Posts
After 1 week of running the stock box with a brand new drop in filter, I put my cone filter back in. I noticed the car accelerates better and sounds better with the cone. If I am loosing HP, I don't notice it.
Not a surprise. Lots of owners talk about "sucking all that hot underhood air", but how do they KNOW that makes any difference? To find out what REALLY happens, I placed a remote reading thermometer inside my homemade cone intake, and found that at 35 mph the air temp in the tube was just 7 degrees above ambient. This is not enough to make any practical difference.

I noticed better performance when driving the car ( a 2000 ES ) with the conical intake versus the factory airbox with new filter element. From a standing start I got no performance improvement on the G-Tech, and this makes sense because when stopped, the airflow into the engine compartment is zip and the intake temp rose to 40+ degrees above ambient. It drops off as soon as the car begins to move, but that first few feet see less power.

Bottom line - the conical intake makes more power when driving, but without a sealed cold air chamber to draw from it may not improve off-idle performance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just wanted to suggest looking at my earlier post.. In my 3.3 I added a wall or baffle and I feel this keeps some of the hot air away.
Just a thought.... :cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actually a great thought!. ..I decided to use a piece of wood...no really. Wood has excellent thermal properties. The denser the better, I used cherry. And painted it, purple of course...silly. I don't like liberacie I swear! But a band saw is all you need and a good tape measure. Fit it nice and it doesn't even need screws or brackets...but put them on anyway for safetys sake. I haven't used a thermometer on it, but common sense tells me that some of that engine heat is now blocking the air box, which is nice :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts