DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for one I can say I have learned one thing about cone air filters.

The APC brand ones are CRAP.

Mine isnt very old, not that it matters- they advertise them as reusiable.

I reoil it every 3 to 6 months as per/beyond instructions.

And it has literally fallen apart:

As you can see, the cotton fiter element has literally decomposed! It is riddled with holes big enough to let most debris in.

And as if that was not bad enough, to add insult to injury- the top part of the filter fell off while I was driving recently and got lost onto the road as the liter/garbage it is.

Look at this, you can clearly see that there is no cover anymore to the unit. The so called glue they use (looks like wood glue) couldn't hold the thing together. So now the Dynasty effectively has a mendral bent, no airfilter intake... just great.

Moral of the story, if you are going to get a cone filter- get a real one like from K&N, the ricer brands and generic brands are utterly worthless.

AND they do not stand behind their product. I've emailed APC "oh but do you have the recept?"

Like I would have the recept? I buy all my car parts in cash. I have the original box in storage, its not like I don't have their product.

And I dont know how long I have driven the car like this, needless to say the unit wasnt FUBAR last time I checked (I would have noticed the top of the filter being missing). But again, should I have had to worry about my cone airfilter disintergrating? I think not.

I am off to get a K&N.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Been there. Had my APC one for 2 weeks until the top fell off. The only reason I used it in the first place was because I got it with my intake. I've had my K&N on since(going on a year) and it is as good as new. The old saying rings true - you do get what you pay for!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
yeah, I've got one too...it's a POS, I'm looking at K&N's as we speak.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i just use the 20 dollar ones from autozone... and i have a true cold air intake and park of my filter hangs down past my bumper and i have had no problems.... for 20 bucks, its awesome!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Intake?

Hey Ryan D or anyone else. Where can I pick up a nice cold air intake for a 3.5L? if anyone has an answer pls email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Striker98 said:
Hey Ryan D or anyone else. Where can I pick up a nice cold air intake for a 3.5L? if anyone has an answer pls email me at [email protected]
Autozone, part number 8219, Spectre intake for a civic, will fit our cars nicely.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a ractive cone intake for bout two years now and no problems, only have had to clean it twice now. To what I've read if you clean it to often they will start to decentergrate. Where I work we run filter's till you can see light throught them, that pretty much the best way to tell if they need cleaning.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
without the reciept, how is the manufacturer to know whether you've had it 2 months or 2 years? The warrantee probably is only good for the original owner too.

No reciept no proof.

You get a reciept if you use cash or credit. If you kept the box, why won't you keep the reciept?

What do the instructions say that came with the filter? Maybe you over washed it? Did you use the recommended washing procedure, soap and re-oiling oil?

Some of those marks also looks like the wire mesh has been crushed or torn, no manufacturer that I know will cover that.

The cover coming off is inexcusable though. Poor quality for sure (unless you didn't folow the proper washing procedure).

I'm not saying thier filter isn't crap (I've never had one), but you need to keep the reciept if you expect warrantee service.
You get what you pay for is also very true.

It's the way of todays world.

I'd say you learned a cheap lesson (unless your engine has sucked up alot of dust).

Good luck

BJ

·
Registered
152 Posts
ericcole said:
if you ahve your filter very close to the exhaust the glue will melt, been there. but as far as cheap filters my AEM has been fantastic. better than that damn K&N i used to have.

If you've had problems with a K&N with proper maintanence, then yours is a very rare experience. In fact, yours is the first story I've heard where they've downgraded.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i really dont like K&N because everyone i know that runs one ends up with dust behind the filter in the breather tract. i think its becasue the K&N gets its extra air flow from having a larger pore size allowing dust to get past it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.