DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends uncle has a 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 35th anniversary edition that he may be selling. 5 speed manual, leather interior, JBL sound system. Moreover it has only 53,000 km (33,000 miles) original owner, never seen winter roads. What do you guys think? Any comments reagrding this gen of T-bird? I've never been a ford fan, but I liked this car. The problem is i'd have to sell my trep, and it will be hard to part with her.

Here are some pics (not the one i'd be buying but identical in every way)

Reactions: slowbra

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
id..do it in a sec...thats a hott car

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing I don't like is the black rims, but those can be fixed, take a look!

Now imagine that with dual flowmasters or something, sexy eh?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
But yeah, in all honesty, I kinda like the look of those cars. Never driven one or rode in one, but not bad looking considering when they were built. How much power do those supercharged ones make?

It'd be a tough call though if you'll have to sell the Trep. I wonder what the insurance differences are since this car is supercharged and all, even if it's not making that much power.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My cousin had a red one. A nice car. For 1990 it's in great shape.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'd take it over a '94 Intrepid.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The supercharged 3.8 had a bad reputation for blowing head gaskets. Probably a small design flaw that is exacerbated by infrequent cooling system maintenance and smaller aftermarket SC pulleys intended to increase boost. Still, it is something to think about.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
The car appears to be in immaculate shape. The only turn off for me would be that ancient looking gauge panel and dash. It just screams 80s...

I think the car would be great to have but i dont think it would hold up as a daily driver any better than the thousands of beat up ones you see out on the roads these days.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
That is one beautiful car! I had a 1990 T-Bird. Mine was white, and it was not an SC. I traded mine in 7 years ago for my 95' Concorde. It was a blast to drive, i definitly miss the 2-door and RWD ;)

IIRC the SC is just a Supercharged 3.8L V6, correct?

I don't think the T-bird's saw V8's until 93' or 94' or somewhere around there.

If it is the 3.8 V6, They have a hard time hanging on to headgaskets. The SC Version maybe different, i don't know, it's been a long time since i've been into t-birds.

It drove and handled great, i did have however blow a headgasket about a month after i bought it, and the tranny was on it's way out when i sold it. I believe i had a tick over 100K miles on it when i traded it.

I wouldn't mind picking up another bird if i found one in that kind of shape, but i wouldn't be trading the LHS on one either ;)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
The late 80's, early 90's generation of T-Birds were nice cars. A guy at work bought a '91 (I think) when new and loved it. He was still driving it with 150k+ miles and 12 years on it when he retired.

Avenger said:
I'd take it over a '94 Intrepid.
I don't know if I'd go that far ...! :)

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
D76G12 said:
I don't know if I'd go that far ...! :)
I would!!! But you already knew that! :biggrin:

Yeah...I'm here!!! lol!

Hmmm....I've never owned an SC MN12 TBird, but I still know a little bit about them! lol! First of all, is the actual car you'd be buying in as good of shape inside and out like the photo? That's hard to find all by itself! I'm not a big fan of the Anniversary Edition paint scheme, but that's a personal preference... As has been mentioned, the weak point on the SC's are the head gaskets. But, overall, they are pretty fun cars, especially if you get that 5-speed! They feel a bit more powerful than they really are, but I do believe there are some decent upgrades available for them! It's been said that headers, exhaust and a raised/enlarged SC adapter should bring a total of 75 additional HP... Your best source for info and feedback will come from the SCCoA Website and forums. However, I believe you have to be a paid member to get to the really detailed, technical forums. Still...LOADS of info can be found in the general, public forums! If it were me, I'd take it if the price was right. Oh...and the "collectible" factor is also something to consider! Anniversary Edition TBirds (3371 built) in good shape are getting harder and harder to come by!

BTW...the 91 Sport was the first MN12 chassis TBird to get the 5.0 motor, and unlike the 87-88 TBirds like I had, it was a factory H.O. motor, identical to the Mustangs... The 87-88's got "roller" cam 5.0's, but they were the standard output (155hp) from the mercury division. :(

Anywho...looks like a nice TBird! I'd grab it up and go join the SCCoA forums and go nuts! Good luck! Of course...that all depends on how much $$ you'd have to fork over for it...

Oh....and KBB says $2300 (private Party) in excellent condition... Depends on how much the owner knows of the collectible factor. :)

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
....and yes, a nice set of 5-spoke wheels look SHARP on those cars!!

Of course, I'm not biased in any way, shape or form.... :biggrin:

Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!! Buy it!!

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
these wernt bad cars but not great ones either,, things to beware of,, headgaskets( the 3.8 is a nasty engine) m things like door hinges sagging windows falling off the track, ford missed the boat on quailty control for a few years in the early 90's, also they have major EGR problems,,,, but the supercharger made it a fun car to drive

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just letting everyone know that they can stop saying the car is in great shape, because Nathan hasn't actually posted PICTURES of it yet.

And from what news I hear, the car has scratches and a few minor dents all over it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts