DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I keep seeing people refer to the storage/cupholder/shifter thing as a "counsel" when I have always known it to be a "Console". I thought a counsel was a group of people who make decisions for a mass of people, and a console is what i previously referred to as the center of a vehicle used for storage, arm rests, etc... see #8 of the console definition.

dictionary.com refers to a counsel as what i had said it was with many variants of the term.

coun⋅sel
  /ˈkaʊnsəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [koun-suhl] Show IPA noun, plural -sel for 3, verb, -seled, -sel⋅ing or (especially British) -selled, -sel⋅ling.
–noun
1. advice; opinion or instruction given in directing the judgment or conduct of another.
2. interchange of opinions as to future procedure; consultation; deliberation.
3. Law. (used with a singular or plural verb) the advocate or advocates engaged in the direction of a cause in court; a legal adviser or counselor: Is counsel for the defense present?
4. deliberate purpose; plan; design.
5. Theology. one of the advisory declarations of Christ, considered by some Christians as not universally binding but as given for aid in attaining moral perfection.
6. Archaic. a private or secret opinion or purpose.
7. Obsolete. wisdom; prudence.

con⋅sole
2  /ˈkɒnsoʊl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kon-sohl] Show IPA
–noun
1. a television, phonograph, or radio cabinet designed to stand on the floor rather than on a table or shelf.
2. the control or monitoring unit of a computer, containing the keyboard or keys, switches, etc.
3. a desk-like structure containing the keyboards, pedals, etc., by means of which an organ is played.
4. a small cabinet standing on the floor and having doors.
5. console table.
6. the control unit of a mechanical, electrical, or electronic system: the console that controls a theater's lighting system.
7. Architecture. an ornamental corbel or bracket, esp. one high in relation to its projection.
8. Automotive. a tray or container typically divided into compartments, mounted between bucket seats, and used for storing small items.
9. Nautical. a unit on a vessel containing steering apparatus, systems monitoring equipment, etc.: a bridge console, an engine-room console.

The funny thing is - when i type in console and counsel, i get basically the same pictures of the centers of people's interior and boats.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I think it is more of a misspelling than anything else.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
I think they spell like that to screw with your mind

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I lived in Mercer Co. Kentucky for 19 years, no one knew what a damn console was in a car... I even said center console and people are like, aint that a glove box...

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Wouldn't spellcheck be great here??

Speaking of check, I keep seeing people spell check instead of check. Isn't check a mark when you get something right, and cheque is something you give someone instead of cash?

And what about labour,labor,color,colour,neighbour,neighbor...etc

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lived in Mercer Co. Kentucky for 19 years, no one knew what a damn console was in a car... I even said center console and people are like, aint that a glove box...
I live in Scott county Kentucky. but dammit, I know the difference. which means NOBODY else should have an excuse!

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
What about hot water heater?? I heat cold water not hot.

I am leaning on my console while I am getting counsel from a drive in lawyer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It doesn't happen often...but the one that always gets me is when people mistype "rogue" as "rouge."

Perhaps you should try using "council" instead. Then you could really throw people for a loop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts