DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this makes absolutely no sense to me, but maybe someone can help me out.

Ever since I bought my computer it would open Explorer in about half a second, but lately its been taking around 10 seconds - not every time though, just off and on. It makes no sense to me:confused: It does it when opening Internet explorer, or even trying to open "my computer" or the control panel. Once it opens it runs fine, but it shouldn't be lagging so much when opening. I didn't change any settings before it started doing this, and Explorer is the only program that lags when loading.

Would re-downloading explorer solve this?

AMD Athlon Thunderbird @ 1.4Ghz
512mb PC2100 DDR Ram
Epox 8KHA Motherboard

Windows XP Ver5.1 (Build 2600)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Well since I do tech support all day on the phones at work for a living.. which im doing as we speak.
Basically windows keeps most parts of internet pages in it's history to sort of speed things up (more plausable when everyone had dialup)
So after collecting pages, it checks this history to see if it has the page, or the latest version of the page, if it finds it on the hard drive, it loads it, if not, it downloads it and saves it.
So basically when you have a few hundred, it's that finding a needle in a haystack type effect where it takes so bloody long to rifle through all those files, it seems to take so long.
So do the following to get rid of them :)
(yes, I've done this thousands of times with great results every time)

Go to start, settings, control panel.
double click on internet options.
click on delete files, and put a check in delete all offline content then click ok.
Then click on clear history. then click yes.
then click on settings, then view files.
You'll see a box with your cookies in it.
click edit, select all, then delete on your keyboard then click yes to delete all the files.
then click ok on both windows and you should be back to your desktop.
Open up Internet Explorer and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did all of the above before... no results - tried again, and again, didn't help.

One thing i did figure out though, was it loads up in half a second when i'm not connected to the internet, but when i am thats when it takes so long to load. And its not like its bogging down the processor. If i open the task manager and watch the CPU usage it peaks at around 40% for a millisecond after i click on the icon for explorer then goes down to 10% and stays there...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
In past instances of windows (anything besides windows xp) there was a repair tool even with ie 6.0 to solve complicate dproblems automatically, but lately I dont see that on the newer machines so re downloading is a good idea.
its simple to do :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EvilDeadFan said:
When's the last time you defragged your hard drive btw?
defragged both partitions last week

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Give me all the performance stats about your computer as you can then :) and which isp type you have, cable, dsl, dialup etc. :) and which isp. :)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Do you have any mapped drives that re-connect on startup?

Also if its windows XP.... how bout taking it a step further.... log onto the administrator account... and delete the profile that you have been using. Then log back in as the account that you were using (it will create a new profile). Just keep in mind that this will wipe out all your customizations and make sure you have backups of all your important data files just in case. (Especially in My Documents and Desktop, and My Music).... etc etc etc. Move them to a different folder... say on the root of your C: drive.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give me all the performance stats about your computer as you can then and which isp type you have, cable, dsl, dialup etc. and which isp.
56k Dial-up.

used to be a locally owned ISP, but was bought out by Earthlink several months back.

dont know if this pic will help you any, but here it is anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, you asked for it... heres a 110% complete summary of my computer... Not sure how accurate the benchmarks are though, because i did it with some programs running in the background.System Summary

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
So you says its slow loading web pages.
Well if your on broadband, do this then.
Unplug the power from your cable/dsl connection,
Restart the comptuer
Plug the power back into the cable modem upon seeing the desktop finish loading.
Tada! should be working :p

(that works so much here at work its silly)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EvilDeadFan said:
So you says its slow loading web pages.
)
no, its not slow loading web pages, its slow to open the browser. I double click on the icon and get 10 seconds of dead space before it opens.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Ohhhh, **** ok. I was thinking along other lines.
Re-install the program then.
www.windows.com
Internet explorer, download now etc :)

You wouldn't happen to have 40 little icons in your taskbar would you? near the bottom right :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Download Mozilla, screw MS:D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EvilDeadFan said:

You wouldn't happen to have 40 little icons in your taskbar would you? near the bottom right :)
just 12 - but 3 of them are for my keyboard because there isn't any lights on it (it displays caps lock and stuff on screen)

after i get done downloading the Lamborghini movie Intrepidacious posted i'll try to d/l IE again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In case you haven't figured out your problem by now, try taking out any CD you have in your drives when opening either of the Explorers. Windows "needs" to pick up the volume label and icon (if any) of the disc so that it can show the user exactly what disk they have in the drive. If your disk hasn't been spun up recently and/or the disk's icon isn't in the shell's icon cache, it'll go through this spin-up/read process.

No amount of reinstallations of any program will speed that process up. There may be a registry hack to disable this, but I highly doubt it. Don't take my word of the lack of a hack as law, however. I've not done a search for it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
your only problem is that your on a peecee....GET A MAC

and no futzy OS X....OS 9.2 is where its at

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Jgarrett, I know what you mean, man. I have the same problem with my computer, running Windows XP. I have no problem at all when I open internet explorer, the program loads right up along with my home page. When I experience that 10 second wait (I'm not sure of actual wait time, I've never timed it), it's when I open up a shortcut on my desktop to a folder or sometimes even the "my computer" link from the start menu.

The whole cache thing isn't the trick, the disk in the CD or floppy drive isn't it either. I've never really taken the time to figure out what it's doing, but I do have the same problem as you in a sense.

Like you, I'm running a processor over a gig in speed, but I do have network drives that are set up to reconnect at startup. Who knows what it is, I just put up with it. Just wanted to let you know you're not crazy.

·
Registered
870 Posts
2 words....

Format - Reload

works every time;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts