DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ld say the tranny is one of the biggest hurdles to going RWD and still using the 2.7 or 3.5. Well I read today that the LX is going to use the 42RLE trans for it's 2.7 and 3.5 RWD applications. I did some research and the 42RLE is the tranny used in the Liberty 2WD, 4WD(with transfercase) and TJ. Presuming the case is unchanged in those applications for bolt pattern purposes this leaves only a suitable rearend to be found. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
isn't the liberty a independant rear suspension too? Might be able to canablize the whole damn thing :)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5.7 Hemi will use the Merc tranny and gradually as the plant in Indiana (I think) ramps up, they'll switch to all Mercs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hmm what plant would that be in indiana?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
YB Normyl said:
I'ld say the tranny is one of the biggest hurdles to going RWD and still using the 2.7 or 3.5. Well I read today that the LX is going to use the 42RLE trans for it's 2.7 and 3.5 RWD applications. I did some research and the 42RLE is the tranny used in the Liberty 2WD, 4WD(with transfercase) and TJ. Presuming the case is unchanged in those applications for bolt pattern purposes this leaves only a suitable rearend to be found. :biggrin:
I knew that about the Libby! I pointed it out to my bro one day before he went to boot camp, he said i was stupid for asking a mech. about that.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if what is said here is ... my 468ci swap may work after all...since i can't find a four link anyware for a decent price.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The LX's use a welded steel tube cradle for the rear suspension. It holds the diff fairly solid by a urethane bushed bolt in front and 2 in the back. Driveshafts are typical 2 universal joints each, several arms all go to the cradle, a strut to the body tower.
The drive shaft is 2 sections, with a universal and 2 urethane couplings.

AWD WILL be coming in the near future.

They now have several LX's hand built at Brampton, word is they're going to let us have turns taking 1 home overnight in the next week or so for a test drive evaluation. I don't care which model I get as long as it's a Hemi! Woohoo.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hmm I'll bet that someone will have figured this out by next years international meet. I can't wait to see something like that in person.

EDIT:Hold on, why would we need a new rear end if the LHs were originally meant to be RWD?

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you're going to go rear wheel drive, you might as well go all out and put a Small block Mopar with a five speed in it. I'm pretty sure if the body can handle the 250 hp that the high performance model comes with, Why not add a little support along the chassie and put in a V8, 5-speed, and a ford 9 incher and have an intrepid with the Biggest Balls:biggrin:

A little inovation and the right state of mind anything can be done.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I still see a lot of Turbo Coupe Thunderbird rear-ends around. 8.8" with disc brakes & 4 link suspension. Hmmm... Shouldn't be too difficult with a good welder... :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
[Why not add a little support along the chassie and put in a V8, 5-speed, and a ford 9 incher and have an intrepid with the Biggest Balls:biggrin: ]
Why go with frog rear end? The Mopar 8-3/4 is a way better diff.
There's plenty in the local boneyards, it's cheaper to build,and it takes a LOT less torque to turn it.Only way to go IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts