DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty excited about using my deep fryer. And I had no misgivings about placing that 3 gallon container of peanut oil into my trunk. Imagine my surprise (and resulting verbal fireworks) when I discovered that the container dumped half of its contents onto my upholstery and into my tire well by the time I got it home.

For those of you wondering how fast a trunk liner can be removed - just under 5 minutes flat.

Thanks to a hefty container of kitty litter, a sacrificial shop vac, and some simple green. I have the trunk itself (all of the metal body panels, the spare tire, the jack etc) pretty much clean.

Here is where I need your help.......................
That molded-trunk carpet piece, as well as the flat, carpet-covered support panel (that sits on the spare)- is still saturated with cooking oil. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it clean. or maybe where to get a replacement for a reasonable price? I feel pretty helpless about this sort of thing.

TIA

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
uhm. any good degreaser that works on food will work. DAwn.

take it out side or in a tub and just srub it with a brush let it dry and put it back in your trunk

go to a bone yard to get one out of the trunk if your going t get anouther one

·
Registered
865 Posts
any kind of oil is a beotch to clean out of something like carpet cause even if you wash, scrub and dry it will still be all greasy and shiny looking I would assume.

might have to wash it a few times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you think of any type of cleaner that would break the stuff down? I will try using dawn and a scrub brush but I have to believe there is something more powerfull out there

Oh, And gettng the new stains out of my driveway - thats anoter problem.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
in all honesty, get a new one. I had an addidas warm up jacket that i accidently dropped in peanut oil once and despite two years of scrubbing with every detergent/soap in the world it couldnt be saved. There are sites out there that will sell you aftermarket replacement carpet or you could go to a junk yard and pull your own.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Go to a junkyard and get another one.

I spilled about a gallon of old tranny fluid in my trunk.. No way that thing was getting cleaned.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You could also fill the tire well back up with oil, light a fire under the back on the car, and have a mobile deep fryer :D

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I'm with a couple of the other guys. You'll never get that stuff out of the material or fiberboard. I'd go hit up some of the local yards or the buy/sell section on here for new carpet and spare cover.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It's gonna be 10x more of a headache trying to clean it than to replace it.

Thats too bad when you are just doing an every day task like bringing something home and something totally Fuc*ed happens that ruins your week.

I was thinking that you could use some kind of powder or something to absorb up all the slime than just vaccume it off cause as is the nature with oil using water of any kind will just move it around and prob not get it very clean.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
You could also fill the tire well back up with oil, light a fire under the back on the car, and have a mobile deep fryer :D

And.. an explosion waiting to happen.. :grinyes:

·
Registered
865 Posts
not to mention the food tasting like spare tire... :p

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I'm a chef. Take my word for it, buy a whole new trunk liner. I clean that **** for a living, it ain't comin out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that about settles it then. off to the dump it goes. Thanks to everyone that helped me avoid a whooole lot of frustration. YOu know - I never really gave much thought to those spill-containing trunk liners.....

until now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts