DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a techno-weenie, it's my nature to be intuned with a lot of cool gadgets. This little peice of magic, I think, would be great for the pure car enthusiast looking to get the most out of his/her vehicle.

It's called the CarChip. Some of you may have heard of it. It's a small device that plugs into the OBDII connectors and it records data from 4 of 23 available engine parameters with intervals anywhere from 5 to 60 seconds. The parameters are:

RPM
Battery Voltage
Throttle Position
Timing Advance
Engine Load
Coolant Temperature
Fuel Pressure
Air Flow Rate
Fuel System Status
Intake Air Temperature
Short-term Fuel Trim
Long-term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage

It was originally designed as sort of a deterrent for people who might be tempted to drive unsafely. But i think a good off shot of that is cheaply monitoring engine performance, without having to go to a garage.

Check it out at
TheCarChip.com

the only thing that kinda sucks is you have to buy the chip and the monitoring software separately.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its been around for several years now. There are many modifications. Originally made for teen drivers.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The cool thing about it is the ability to analize mods

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly realsynthetics. records everything about the performance of a vehicle. it even records everything that happened during the last 23 seconds before an accident

·
Registered
475 Posts
So has anybody used it yet?

They have em at Autozone now.

·
9,861 Posts
Standard ODB-II datalogger. Not really anything special.

You can get ODB-II cables and software for a laptop to view sensor data in real time, and log it.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
And for those that don't have OBD2?? lol...nothing

·
Registered
475 Posts
That brings up another valid queston.

Are we obd2? The few pages I visited seemed to say Dodge post 96 are fine.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I'm sure all the 2G's are. I don't know about the 1G's, but I saw that same list and looked through the exceptions, too.

It's too bad the Chip will only log 4 parameters. :( Hmmm, maybe it's time to get a laptop ...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
0000 J_A_M 0000 said:
Does anyone know where the OBD 1 port is at in a 1G?
The little blue thing right near the peddals. All cars built on or after Jan 1, 1996 are required to have OBD2 by federal law. Some earlier models did have it, but were not compliant. http://www.obdii.com/obdii.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like what you are buying here is a "protocol converter" which allows your laptop to read the information coming from the OBDII connector output. You need a special OBDII connector cable that hooks up to the converter which connects to your laptop with USB or RS232. The windows program displays the info so you can read it.
I suppose you could buy any one of the converters and use the free "scantool" program from here http://www.scantool.net/software/index.htm#download.
I'm gunna research that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts