DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 intrepid SE which I recently took to firestone to have them do a full diagnostics. They said my coolant air bleeder and oil pan gasket both had a minor leak, and gave me estimated prices for the parts and labor.
They said the parts for the oil pan gasket set (OS30689R) would be $72.99 and the labor would be $264, and the parts for the coolant air bleeder (902-301} would be $115.99 and labor would be $250.80
Do these price really seem reasonable? I was able to find these exact parts for 1/4th of the price online.
And also are these something that are difficult to do, and I should leave them to a mechanic? Or is it something that I could let my dad (who has been messing with cars for many years and knows practically everything about engines/parts, but hasn't messed with either of these parts) could do by himself?
These might be dumb questions, I'm just looking for insights from the professionals! Haha

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
And also after doing some small research the coolant air bleeder it seems most replacements for it start leaking again pretty quickly, if anyone has any recommendations on a good brand that will actually last a while as a replacement that would be appreciated! 馃榿

Premium Member
I assume this is a 2.7 engine since it is an SE.

Is your bleeder molded into the top of the plastic coolant outlet housing, or is it welded into the metal pipe that comes out of the plastic housing? 2004 should have the type that is welded into the metal pipe. If so, is the problem in the bleeder itself, or is it the plastic housing coming apart and starting to leak?

Yes - the aftermarket part is weak and does not last long. All of them are the earlier, inferior design that has the bleeder molded into the plastic housing, and they are made by Dorman (may be re-branded). You want to replace it only with the replacement from Chrysler. I don't know if they sell just the OEM plastic housing, or if you have to buy the single part number that includes both the plastic housing and the metal pipe (with bleeder welded into it).

Post back with (1) If the bleeder is welded into the metal pipe or molded into the plastic housing, and (2) If the leak is in the bleeder itself or in the plastic housing. We'll go from there. It would help if you post a photo clearly showing the plastic housing and the bleeder. That will show which design you have and may show exactly where leaked coolant residue is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I believe its 2. We didn't go too in depth about where the leak is, but I believe it is leaking through the seam in the plastic housing. I will see if I can get a picture when I'm out of work.

Premium Member
OK.

On the oil pan leak, it would be good if you could verify if the oil pan is really leaking. It may very well be, but the oil pressure switch (located on the passenger side of the engine just above the top of the oil pan) is known for leaking and can fool people into thinking that the oil pan is leaking. If the oil pressure switch is leaking, you will see it and it's single-wire connector will be wet with oil and dripping when the engine is running.

As I said, the oil pressure switch is more likely to be the source of the leak, and it will be a ten-minute DIY job, and the part will be less than $30. IF that's the case, this is another part that you definitely want the Chrysler part for. The aftermarket parts often are not calibrated correctly and will turn your low-pressure dash light on even when the pressure is normal.

Not having to replace the oil pan gasket will save you a bunch of time and/or money if it's not the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh I see, I will double check that as well, I'll most likely be taking it directly to dodge and have them double check everything. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Woober Goobers!
Interesting. Looks like Dorman finally stepped up and made a decent part. Price is good at $35 also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and I am glad, I did not want to buy the plastic part and then have to replace it again after another couple months

Woober Goobers!
Got it replaced yet? LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts