DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I want to change the coolant last week, mechanical told me, and I have to replace the value before changing the coolant, and charge me $250 CND for replacing.

Must the value be replace? What if I won't change the coolant? It is 2000 year 2.7L.

Thanks very much.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I'm assuming that you mean "valve".. If the valve is corroded and will not turn, or the valve is turning inside the housing without opening, then your mechanic is correct. These valves are a common problem on the 2.7's, and there have been a lot of them replaced by folks on this forum. I'm not sure about the price quoted since I'm in the states, but I do know that the replacement part runs about $90 US. It's not a REAL bad job to replace, but that part is up to you. If you have someone else change it out for you, then the labor will cost you whatever the curent flat-rate is. You will need a functioning valve in order to change your coolant and bleed the system of air.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. It is too costly.

How if I change bit by bit? I would like to pump out the coolant from the tank and add up to MAX, and I will keep doing this every week for 2 monthes, is that possible?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
It would take you years to get a complete change of fresh coolant doing it that way. The only reason you can't change your coolant properly is that you won;t be abnle to bleed the system once you add coolant back in. You can drain and fill up to the max, but you'll have air in the system until that bleeder valve gets changed. My opinion...save your $$'s until you can afford to do it right.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah you don't want a air pocket in your coolant causing the thermostat needle to rise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts