DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I found coolant leaked all round the parking lot. No problem with the engine temperature when I refilled the coolant. If I run the engine for some time, coolant starts to leak if the engine stops, after 30 minutes, leaking stopped.
I didn't jack up the car and take a look, just see probably the leak is from the middle of front engine.
the radiator should be fine, is that a water pump gasket?
this is a 04 3.5 ES.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Mileage? Did you open the hood to check for leaks? And "radiator should be fine" makes me think it's just been replaced or serviced.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Could be a few things, but the waterpump is right in front of the engine so that would be my first guess. Also, since the pumps on these engines aren't the best I would never doubt one leaking no mater the mileage.

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
Yeah - likely is water pump. But be aware also that there is a very short piece of heater hose connecting the thermostat housing to the metal pipe that drops down beside the tranny from the coolant pressure bottle/reservoir. That hose can of course spring a leak, and also is subject to poor/misaligned installation since it is a PITA to put on (if anyone has done a t-stat swap, that would be suspect). But again - probably w.p.

·
Registered
15,590 Posts
Drive up on a curb so you can do a 'quick check' of where the coolant is at. My WP dropped coolant down the center also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah - likely is water pump. But be aware also that there is a very short piece of heater hose connecting the thermostat housing to the metal pipe that drops down beside the tranny from the coolant pressure bottle/reservoir. That hose can of course spring a leak, and also is subject to poor/misaligned installation since it is a PITA to put on (if anyone has done a t-stat swap, that would be suspect). But again - probably w.p.
I just crawled underneath the car and still did find exactly the leak area, but the leaking spot should be around the back of alternator.

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
I just crawled underneath the car and still did find exactly the leak area, but the leaking spot should be around the back of alternator.
That's more of an indication of a problem with the thermostat housing or that hose that I was talking about. That all is right behind the alternator. Or possibly a core (freeze) plug up above that area.

When water pump leaks, the drip will be from the center front, unless it runs over to the side.

It's all up to you or a shop you choose to take it to now to find the problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked it again. My bad, I didn't tell the leaking spot correctly. It was in the centre of just under the crankshaft.I finally found the thermostat housing and the pipe to coolant tank, they are very clean. I orginally thought the thermostat was beside the bleeding valve.

It looks the bleeding valve of water pump is leaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.